• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brett01

Need some examples of Object oriented class design of games

This topic is 3264 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I Need some examples of Object oriented class design of old games, so that I can get some idea about OO game programming.Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Not really a full answer to your question but on the 3D Buzz website they have tutorials to make a simple C++ game. The particular one that you want is in the project management section (not the best name I agree). In this section they identify the classes and discuss how they work together. This should help answer a few things.

Some games publish large amounts of the C++ code for the modding community to use, such as the Source SDK (i.e. Half Life 2 game code).

I personally learned "Game OO" from studying the Half-Life 1 code-base ;)
However, you've got to remember that just because it's done a certain way in professional code, that doesn't mean it's good/right.
As well as learning a lot, I also picked up a lot of bad habits from that code (e.g. improper use of constructors/destructors, using memset on non-POD types, using the C std lib instead of the C++ std lib... basically the "c with classes" way of doing things instead of the C++ way of doing things).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!