• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LionMX

[3D Models + Animation] Best file format ?

This topic is 3170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm giving myself the task of creating a model loader but I'm also interested in animation. I have created a .obj file loader easy enough but now im interested in the animation side, unless I'm mistaken .obj can't do this. I've looked at the MD3 file format but from what I understand this is a vertex animation not bones. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to learning this format? Is there a better, more commonly used format? I'm looking at a more Gam focused format. I dont want to waste time learning MD3 if that went down the bog 3 years ago. I'm also not interested in COLLADA... yet!

Advertisement
Try the Milkshape3D format (*.ms3d), is what I use for years, easy to parse, there's lots of sample code in net.
It uses bones for animation (last version I think that even supports various bone weights per vertex).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!