• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sos_the_latter

Firefly - a game controlled with a candle (YES, real candle)

This topic is 3160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The idea of this game is to show that you can use quite a medieval tool to control a game, and one that you can get for 35636575 times cheaper than Weeemote. In this game you control a firefly that has lost it's ability to sparkle. You must guide it through multiple levels using a candle, to which the bug gets attracted to. Graphics have an old-shool pixelated feel to it with some fancy lighting effects. The game is being developed entirely on EEE PC 1000h, and currently on linux (because of a windows uvc ebcam driver that makes it too slow to use). But the the project started on windows and will be ported to windows as soon as i get another webcam. All these fancy controllers are useless now, candles (YES, real candles) are the future of gaming!!! Screenshot: http://www.gizycko.mm.pl/~stora_s/sos/shot.jpg Video:
Hope you like it :) PS how do you make urls clickable here? [Edited by - Sos_the_latter on October 13, 2009 12:06:39 PM]

Advertisement
:{ Oh that's great.
Now I have to get a USB-Candle adapter. :)

But seriously, it does sound like a great concept.
So how exactly are you interfacing with the candle?
Does it use a webcam or something?

As a safer replacement for the candle, might I suggest a maglite torch with the focussing end unscrewed -- what you get then is a cylinder, with the small bulb stuck out of the end of it, and it will illuminate all around it; much as a candle does.

Then there's no fire risk :-)

Candles emit a lot of infra-red light, which digital cameras are good at receiving (they're usually *too* good at it, so they usually have a filter to block out the IR light -- you can convert most web-cams to night-vision cameras by removing this filter).

If you ever lose your Wii's sensor bar, you can replace it with two candles (the sensor bar is simply 2 IR LEDs and the WiiMote is a bluetooth IR camera).

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
If you ever lose your Wii's sensor bar, you can replace it with two candles (the sensor bar is simply 2 IR LEDs and the WiiMote is a bluetooth IR camera).

To be exact, the Wii sensor bar contains more than 2 IR LEDs. I think it's 4 or 5 on each end.

Also, the sun also emits a lot IR light, that's why the Wii pointer gets all jerky when being pointed at a window.

However, would the Firefly game work when waving a Wii sensor bar around?

Yeah, it does use webcam, but mouse support for shy people will also be added. The game is pretty tranquil so I think there's not much fire risk, but that doesn't apply to get-covered-in-candlewax risk unfortunately.

anyways, another screenshot

http://www.gizycko.mm.pl/~stora_s/sos/teaser1.png

[i still haven't figured out how to use this forum's facilities, so just copypaste it]

Nice (sort of) original concept and very nice music! From this I can picture a FPS in which you need to light a candle in order to see stuff in a dark room...

What about connecting a fan to a mouse wheel and making it sping by blowing into it?... :)

Quote:
Original post by owl
(sort of)
Why sort of? I don't think I've ever seen a game controlled by a candle before...

I think it looks fantastic, and I think it was probably one of the first YouTube videos I ever watched all the way to the end :-) I loved the music as well, seems like a perfect match for the gameplay.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!