Weapon Physics: Bose-Einstein condensates?

Started by
6 comments, last by WarMage 22 years, 9 months ago
You''ve all heard of the ''tractor-beam'', the magical flow of directed gravitons or similar particles which can have either a positive (toward source) or negative (repellent) force. So, assuming that we could control gravimetric particles / waves / superstring oscillations, how about this? Bose-Einstein Condensate Phased Energy Pulse. :D Huh?? The weapon is based on gravimetric flux causing a chunk of the hull to go so cold, so fast it becomes a BEC. For you laypersons, a Bose-Einsten condensate is a "superfluid" state of a clump of molecules, whereby all molecules "act" as a single particle, with a common charge coupling, phase, and spin characteristics. How you acheive a BEC state is trivial, except for that it has this curious property: You can phase-transmit other energies through it. Now what have I just described? "Transparent" solids. Oh yes. Slap a hull with a BEC-pulse, then before the BEC-phase warms up beyond its effective activity (and it will, you''re just supercooling via charged particle transfer), hammer that "hole" in the hull with another charge, tuned to pass through the BEC (which should sing it''s resonant freq on any field effect sensor like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir), and Voila. You have just gutted the forward spaces of the ship, while leaving the hull relatively "intact". Or am I just TOTALLY LOST on the idea of phase transition and BECs? Any NukeE''s out there? -------------------- -WarMage ...but damn, just think what you could do with that!!
Advertisement
hehe sounds good

Correct me if I''m wrong but can''t only a gas be a BEC? And only Bosons and not Fermions. So you could create a BEC with a helium-4 you can''t do it with a helium-3? Or am I totally lost.

Now when a part of a ships hull becomes a BEC, it is not part of the hull anymore because you break its bonding to the rest of the ships hull. So the hull doesnt stay intact, you rip it apart.

But just for fun lets assume you can transform some part of the hull in a BEC, you are overlooking the best part. You can change the magnetic field and because in a BEC all atoms behave like one, by adjusting the magnetic field you can shrink or expand the BEC. The fun thing is now, if you adjust the magnetic field to be attractive the atoms firt shrink and then explode. Thats very intressting and a mystery for many scientists because half of the atoms "vanish". A Bosenova inside ones ship hull sounds bad :-)

But I doubt this will become a real weapon anytime

Humanity''s first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
WarMage,

There's an action adventure novel or feature film in there somewhere, I'm convinced of it. Michael Crichton goes technical detail with some of his novels (i.e., the Jurassic Park, Timeline), and your whole post is the perfect setup for some clandestine research and adventure. I don't know what exactly yet, but I'll leave that to you. If you become rich and famous for writing a hit around some adventure involving this hypothetical technology, you should now mention that I first gave you the idea (to write the adventure that is)!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

Edited by - grhodes_at_work on July 20, 2001 9:20:16 PM
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
So okay, it''s safe to assume that while this may be an interesting transitive phase to something undergoing gravitational collapse, it''s probably simpler to do a localized (Planck-sized) gravimetric singularity and let the magnetic field turn the thing to plasma in a few microseconds.

Foop. I''d have to say that laying a black hole as a land mine (not to say the only type of gravimetric singularity is a black hole, it''s just what is foremost on the list of same) would be a much more effective and less esoteric attack.

But the BEC thing would provide a very Star-Trek-like material transparency sort of thing

------------------
-WarMage
...and what''s your name, little subatomic particle?
guns and bullets would probably do, more cost efficient than black holes.
Aye, but black holes have greater potential.

Plus, everyone can have guns and bullets, not everybody can create a black hole at wil ;-)

-Mezz
quote:Original post by Mezz
Aye, but black holes have greater potential.

Oh, someone slap Mezz... argh, what a bad pun.

quote:Original post by Mezz
Plus, everyone can have guns and bullets, not everybody can create a black hole at wil ;-)

I cannot create a gun at will either! But I can buy one! One could imagine a time when the Black Market is rife with Black Holes that just ''fell off the back of the truck'', so to speak.

Wouldn''t the truck fall into the black hole?

:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement