Is 2.5D 3D models from afar or glossy 2D?

Started by
7 comments, last by adt7 14 years, 6 months ago
Title says it all. If you need an example of what I'm talking about, Ragnarok is a good example http://www.gameogre.com/ragnarok.jpg
Advertisement
2.5D is an essentially meaningless term.

Lately it has been used to describe games with 3d art assets but 2d gameplay (A recent example being Shadow Complex).

Originally it was used to describe fake-3d games like Doom. Doom looks 3d, but the world is really a 2d map - individual rooms have height to them, but the world lacks a z dimension.
The term you're looking for is isometric, not 2.5D.

Isometric games can be either true 3D or just 2D sprites drawn to look 3D. In the latter case you need different sprites for each facing angle, and you can usually tell the difference depending on smoothness of animation whilst turning. The advantage to 2D is that you can probably get much higher resolution looking things rather than polygonal looking things.

Because it's so polygonal I'd put my money on that screenshot coming from a 3D game.

-me
Now which one do you think would be better for an intermediate to make? Isometric or 2D?
Quote:Original post by Dragon_Lance
Now which one do you think would be better for an intermediate to make? Isometric or 2D?

So again, isometric can either be 2D or 3D.

2D is infinitely easier than 3D. With the latter you need to know things like skeletal animation, more complicated math and have more competent artists. 2D sprite based stuff is, by comparison, infinitely easier, and a much better step in skill progression.

-me
So if I wanted to make a game by myself it would be easier in 2D? All the art is to be made by me as well as all the audio and all.
Quote:Original post by Dragon_Lance
So if I wanted to make a game by myself it would be easier in 2D?

Absolutely.

-me

A suggestion that I've come across several times is to make 3D models of your people/creatures/whatever, and then set it up to take screenshots of sorts around the model during animation at the angle that you'll be using for your isometric game.
Ragnarok has 3D enviroments, with 2D sprites for the characters, NPCs, spell effects, etc.

You can extract the sprite files from the .grf files included with the game and take a lot yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement