• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gibbon_99

OpenGL Laptop hardware support for GL3.2

This topic is 3262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm looking at getting a new laptop and I want to develop OpenGL 3.2 apps with it. I want it to have a nVidia graphics card but looking at the specifications page on the nVidia site - the newest mobile chipset ( the 100 series ) only supports OpenGL 2.1. Mind you - the specs for a GTX295 also say OpenGL 2.1. Is that enough hardware support to run the latest nVidia drivers for GL 3.2 support? Thanks

Advertisement
Any card from the GeForce 8 series or newer supports GL 3.2.

I have a Dell XPS m1330 with a GeForce 8400M GS here, and GL 3.2 with NVIDIA 190.29 Linux drivers (OpenCL 1.0 also :) ).

Hi, did anyone manage to install the Nvidia drivers on a DELL XPS M1730 with dual SLI 9800M GT? The driver.exe from Nvidia is called "190.58_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_international.exe", which confuses me a bit, but I assume, it is one binary for all platforms. But the driver does not install because no appropriate Hardware is found, although Nvidia says, that Notebooks with GeForce 8000 series or higher should be supported.
Thank you,
greetings,
Herb

Thanks four the replies. I wanted to install the drivers from this Nvidia Site: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html. These are not beta drivers and from their description, they should work.
Black Knight, I will try your link, thanks. Maybe I find the registry hack mentioned by idinev there...
Greetings,
Herb

or.... extract the files from the zip and update the driver manually by pointing the dialog in the direction of the extracted files (since the installer always used to fail due to incompatible hardware). That's how I had to get the desktop drivers running on my XPS notebook. They do however have specific drivers for the mobile series last time i checked though.... (on the nvidia site). Not updated mine for a while, so not tried it with the driver you linked to. I imagine it'll work though...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!