• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Lance

[C++, Dark GDK] Creating an isometric game creator?

This topic is 3343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! After 2 years of programming with my favorite language and library, (C++ and Dark GDK) I have finally decided to make my very own isometric game creator. The only problem is I am not 100% sure where to start. For example I am not sure how to implant a GUI into a window or how does it overall work. Can anyone give me a few starting pointers on how to make a game creator?

Advertisement
Hi,
I'm not familiar with dark gdk, but my guess is there are ui libraries available you can use to create the ui overlay.

As for the problem of not knowing where to start; For everything you don't quite grasp yet, create a smaller, more simple project. Like a point'n'click game for learning the creation of ui. I think there is too much to learn in a game creator for one go.

Too bad I've already done that with Dark GDK :P

Anyone got any general info on what most people do when making Game Creators or editors or w/e for 2D?

Sorry, your question was and still is a bit unclear. So, you have made game(s) with ui in dark gdk, and now want to move away from it by creating a game creator/editor?

If you still want my opinion; If I was making a 2d editor I would make the ui itself in a well established windowing toolkit. (GTK/QT, maybe even efl. Other people could use Windows ui library, whatever that is.) All the buttons/sliders/whatnots are easiest coded in that way. EDIT: Java could also be a possibility; easy portability and in an editor the performance isn't such an issue. On the downside, the rendering engine wouldn't be that useful for the game, if it was made in c/c++/whatever.

The map rendering I would then write in opengl and display it inside the editor window in a viewport. Most windowing toolkits have opengl enabled viewports and I could then reuse the rendering engine in the game as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!