• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Woltan

noob python questions

This topic is 3349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heyas, I am new to python and was hoping you could help me in a special situation. A program I am using provides a python interpreter and I am able to script a few lines in order to make the program do what I want (at least in most of the cases^^). Therefore, the program offers classes which allow the user to access and modify certain states of the program (like turn a switch or "click" a button). I am sure you know what I mean. I took a look into the depths of the folder where this program lies and was able to find plenty of *.pyc files, which hold all the names of the classes and functions I am using for scripting. Since the interpreter of the program itself is realy buggy and is most anoying to use, I started scripting with eclipse/pydev which helps quite a bit especially when you are not used to the python syntax. Coming to my question: Is there a way to use those *.pyc files in order for the intelisense of eclipse to work? I was not able to find any *.py files, as they must be hidden or something. The only other file that might help is a *.mdf file that seems to some kind of header:
#*****************************************************************************
# cdautomationlib.mdf
# Copyright (c) 2000 by ****** GmbH
#
# Version 2.0.0.0
MODULENAME cdautomationlib
DESCRIPTION ControlDesk Main Automation library All neccessary classes general ControlDesk automation are implemented in here.

GROUP cdautomationlib
    GROUP Application
        FUNCTION ArrangeWindows
            DESCRIPTION Arrange the windows inside the work area.
            CALL OBJ.ArrangeWindows([Arrangement = cwaChildWindowsArrangeCascade])
            ENUM#2 cwaChildWindowsArrangeTileHorizontal,cwaChildWindowsArrangeCascade,cwaChildWindowsArrangeTileVertical
        END_FUNCTION
        FUNCTION EditMode
            DESCRIPTION Set edit mode for layouts,
            CALL OBJ.EditMode()
        END_FUNCTION
        FUNCTION Hide
            DESCRIPTION Hides the controldesk window
            CALL OBJ.Hide()
        END_FUNCTION
        FUNCTION Maximize
            DESCRIPTION Maximize the ControlDesk window.
            CALL OBJ.Maximize()
        END_FUNCTION

Is this of any use? Is there a way to compile my files without creating dummy class representations? I hope I could make myself clear and there is a way for me to include those classes and functions. Thanks in advance for any hint / link / suggestion! Regards Woltan

Advertisement
It's possible to disassemble .pyc files (in fact, a disassembler is included with Python), but that's not going to be of much help. Because Python is a dynamic language, even parsing .py files for intellisense stuff is far from difficult; add in the loss of the semantic annotations inherent in source code, and it becomes impossible in all but the simplest situations.

I'm not familiar with that MDF format, but it appears to be part of a binding generator. It would conceivably be possible to convert it into a stub .py file that defined all the relevant methods for the sake of intellisense.

Something which might help are these two functions: dir and help. If you just call dir() from the interpreter, it should give you a list of everything defined in the scope. Call dir(something) on one of those things, and you'll get a list of everything defined in that something (everything accessible by something.anotherthing). Call help(something) on something and you'll be given it's documentation, assuming there is any. These two help replace intellisense-like features and are quite helpful.

Hi,
first of all, thx for your postings. I figure, the work I'd have to put into it to get intellisense is quite a lot more than I would get out of it. After all the interface to the classes inside the program are reduced to a minimum, so having intellisense of my own classes must suffice this time. However, I'll keep those hints in mind just in case I come accross a similar problem.
Thx again
cherio Woltan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!