• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Stowelly

Please recomend books covering all aspects odf the rendering pipeline

This topic is 3174 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Titles pretty self explanatory,Im looking for good books which cover all aspects of the rendering pipeline (mainly looking for software raster based graphics), I expect there hasnt been much new published in this area for a while. could anyone please give me recomendations of informative books please? thanks.

Advertisement
Hi there,

I'm not sure what you mean by "there hasn't been much new published". So you want to find books that focus on rendering pipeline of DX10 ? If this is not the case, I remember there are pdf files on internet which break down and list all the steps in the rendering pipeline for DX9.

For books, you can check out Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 by Frank D. Luna. I think it's a good book that cover and step you through the rendering pipeline. However, I don't know about your programming level so it may not be the book that you're looking for.

Quote:
Original post by b_thangvn
Hi there,

I'm not sure what you mean by "there hasn't been much new published". So you want to find books that focus on rendering pipeline of DX10 ? If this is not the case, I remember there are pdf files on internet which break down and list all the steps in the rendering pipeline for DX9.

For books, you can check out Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 by Frank D. Luna. I think it's a good book that cover and step you through the rendering pipeline. However, I don't know about your programming level so it may not be the book that you're looking for.

thanks, by I expect there is not much new published,I mean in the field of software rendering, although obviously I could be wrong.

DX10 isnt really suitable for this

thanks though

If your want to learn about all the hows and whys of rendering then there is really no way around Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices by Foley, van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes.

It's starting to show it's age, but it will teach you all the steps, from drawing a single line to rasterizing a polygon to setting up the transformation matrices and much more. It covers some colour theory, lighting equations, GUI building, and so on.

Thanks guys, both those books look really good

Real Time Rendering 3rd ed looks like exactly what i need

Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices by Foley

seems to be specific to OpenGL and Maya, is it too specific? or does it cover generalised graphics principles?

was also wondering if this is a good book? as im looking to be making a multithreaded software renderer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Parallel-Rendering-Alan-Chalmers/dp/1568811799/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255690094&sr=8-1

Quote:
Original post by Stowelly
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices by Foley

seems to be specific to OpenGL and Maya, is it too specific?

He was talking about this book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!