• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
davis31

Master Degree on Videogame Programming

This topic is 3259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody! I'm a student of last year of Computer Sciences from Spain. Now I find myself deciding what to do in the future and after some thinking I've decided to take a Master Degree in Videogame Programming (or Developing or Designing or whatever they want to call it). There are some Masters in Spain but here game developing is still not so important and I think doing my Master in Spain wouldn't be the best idea. I'm telling this without knowing too much so maybe that's not true but that's what I think... So, I would like to know which Universities (not only in Europe but around the World) do you think that offer good Masters in Videogames. Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Hey Davis!

I'm all for getting a 4 year degree in game programming but anything above that seems to be a waste.

Video game programming is still so young that things change all the time and frankly i don't think they have enough concrete, static knowledge to make a masters or doctoral program that means anything.

Long story short, why not get your masters in computer science, it's a much more respected and versatile degree and will get you where you want to be anyhow.

Maybe you could minor in video games or some video game related field? :P

My $0.02 :P

Quote:
Original post by davis31
I've decided to take a Master Degree in Videogame Programming (or Developing or Designing or whatever they want to call it).
Is this because that is your passion, or is this because you think it will get you a job?

If that is your passion, then great. If it is to get a job, I suggest you don't bother with it.

Quote:
So, I would like to know which Universities (not only in Europe but around the World) do you think that offer good Masters in Videogames.
I have not heard of any, anywhere.

The difficulty of a games-specific degree is that it limits your career choices generally.

For programming, I suggest a traditional computer science degree in a field that interests you. The games community needs programmers who have expertise in graphics, networking, AI, user interfaces and CHI, and just about all the other research areas.

If it turns out that you seek a job in another field other than games, then your masters degree will still apply. If you try to get a job with another tech company outside games, they will not see much value in a game degree, even at a graduate level.

One masters degree program I can recommend is the EA/UCF Interactive Entertainment Academy.

http://www.fiea.ucf.edu/

I've been to the campus and I must say, having already finished grad school in regular CS, I'm a bit jealous. They are doing some extremely cool stuff there. Check out their projects page.

There's also Guildhall at SMU:

http://www.guildhall.smu.edu/

There's a banner ad for them on this site. Both of those schools have job placement programs with connections to many game companies.

What I can tell you is that games require actually a heart that doesn't allow you to do the job half-finished/barely working/so that the result is annoying for the player.
If you want that degree only for work, then I'm quite unhappy to see another one "soldier that only fights for the war of his own" who doesn't care what a game does. There are too much of people like this already in the industry. Sorry.
Quote:
I've decided to take a Master Degree in Videogame Programming (or Developing or Designing or whatever they want to call it).

Those actually are three different things, and two of them are not really connected to programming / CS.

Anyway, I can say that their degree is sh*t. I learned it all (things that they're teaching and much more) in less then 3 years and you want to spend 4 years on it?
I can only suggest you to take a higher CS degree (or do some self-teaching, it's more than possible in these years) and by the time you get it you should know if you really want to be a game programmer. :)

Ok, let's clarify some things.

First of all, answering to snake5 and also frob I would like to say that definitely NO! I've been playing games my whole life, enjoyed them and in the last years also programming them. So that won't be only a job but a dream I'd like to come true.
Moreover I'm not really a fan of Mega-Enterprises games. I prefer indie and original games.

You're really making me doubt! On the one hand I really like this Universities (FIEA looks so cool!) but on the other hand I don't want to close doors... I'd really apreciate more opinions about that!

I've also seen that some of you talk about spending four years but what I'm searching is something specific of one or two years... maybe the Master concept in Spain is not exactly the same as in the USA.

I hope that helps a little, thank you for your help!

Quote:
Original post by davis31
I've also seen that some of you talk about spending four years but what I'm searching is something specific of one or two years... maybe the Master concept in Spain is not exactly the same as in the USA.
Generally a master's degree program is two years, some people spend a third.

Many finish in less than two years if they seriously apply themselves as a full-time student. A friend of mine attended for one year plus a semester from beginning to end.

All schools have a maximum time limit before courses expire, and most have a time limit before you are kicked out of the program. Most drop you after four or five years. A few seconds on Google shows several schools that drop you after three years of full-time enrollment.

Quote:
but a dream I'd like to come true

I'm so glad to hear that. :)
So, I suggest you to start working on a bigger project that you could show at the place where you're going to work. That will be a lot more valuable to you than some degrees but it will at most take the same time. :)

@People:
its nice to have a Doctrine piece of paper that's all fancy and says your trained to work in that particular field...but in video games you gotta do better and save your cash and money for books and the materials that most universities and colleges just charge you an arm and a leg to gain access for ex $80,000usd min. or more alone? annually? Hasn't the history of garage video game hobby modders' taught you all anything? do it your self and be patient, work hard or go stumble in the dark like the crazy people in here with the clouds in their heads. Those papers mean nothing at start, zip... You want to create video games? then just go to it, learn as much as you can and yes Computer Science is the default field of study though I'd stick to my prof. go to man Bjarne Stroustrup through his books and study. Also related I offer free Internship and no moving from the seat of your computer if you want, more of that in a new post. Good Luck its why where here, to learn. I today still learn of course I'm self taught, but that is how we all generally started to learn video games. Sorry if it seemed I was rough, I just hate rookie mistakes like this from the "next-gen" creators.

CEO Founder,
CCBourgeau
Unlimited,LLC

Related url:
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!