• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lostcaptain

A Full Guide to Game Development.

This topic is 3171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick Note: This is written by Erik Bethke. I have edited it myself to put up into these forums. Also: Please do not post in this thread until I have finished writing it all. It will require many posts before I finish. This is a guide about the making of digital interactive entertainment software— games! Specifically, this guide is for people who want to lead the making of games: programmers, designers, art directors, producers (executive, associate line, internal development, external development), project managers, or leaders on any type of entertainment software. -Are you a talented individual working on a mod to your favorite commercial game who needs to understand how a game is put together? -Are you working with a small team across the Internet on a total conversion like Day of Defeat that will grip gameplayers and game developers alike—but are wondering how to motivate your team members and articulate your vision for your total conversion? -Are you running your first game, with six or more developers working on your game? -Have you been at work for a few months, and everything felt great at the beginning, but now you are wondering if you are on time? -Are you just starting your second game project and determined to plan it right this time? -Are you a successful executive producer who is now responsible for overseeing several projects and want to know how you can get more clarity on your project’s success? -Are you an external developer and want to know how you can best manage risks and meet your milestones? -Is your project late? -Are you a member of a game development team and have a vested interest in the success of this game? -Are you thinking of joining the industry as a producer and need a producer’s handbook? The point is there are many different types of people responsible and accountable for the production of a game project. This guide gives you specific tools for the management of your game, methods to create a project plan and track tasks, an overview of outsourcing parts of your project, and philosophical tools to help you solve abstract production problems. The author’s personal experience producing the hit series Starfleet Command and other projects, as well as extensive interviews with many other producers in the game industry, backs up this advice with real-world experience. Games are incredible products of creativity requiring art, science, humor, and music—a true blend of the mind. Managing this effort presents the producer with many challenges, some specific and some vague. While this guide will answer many specific questions and give guidance in some of the general ideas, the tough calls are still yours.

Advertisement
~...Table of Contents...~

Title...Post Number

Preface.................1
Table of Contents...2
Chapter 1..............3

This post will be edited as I continue to post this guide.

This isn't what this forum is for. Also, you need Erik's permission to repost his work -- do you have it? If so, you can repost it on your own blog or website. If you don't have one, there are plenty of free hosting sites, especially for blogs.

This topic is 3171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.