• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NordCoder

Strange linker error

This topic is 3168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm using the following stuff to make a Pong Clone: Editor (IDE): Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Language used: C++ Other stuff used: SDL, SDL_image and SDL_ttf OS: Windows XP VC++ Setup guide used: Lazyfoo's tutorials Project Template: Win32 Console Application The 2 error messages that I get are:
1>Object.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___CrtDbgReportW referenced in function "public: __thiscall std::_Vector_const_iterator<class Object *,class std::allocator<class Object *> >::_Vector_const_iterator<class Object *,class std::allocator<class Object *> >(class Object * *,class std::_Container_base_secure const *)" (??0?$_Vector_const_iterator@PAVObject@@V?$allocator@PAVObject@@@std@@@std@@QAE@PAPAVObject@@PBV_Container_base_secure@1@@Z)
1>C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Dokumenter\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Pong Clone\Debug\Pong Clone.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I looked up the error on the Microsoft Developer Network (msdn.com) and I understand what the problem is, but the unresolved symbol is '__imp___CrtDbgReportW' which I have no idea what is. Here is the 'Object.h' and 'Object.cpp' files that the linker refers to:
#ifndef OBJECT_H
#define OBJECT_H

#include <vector>
using namespace std;

#include "Graphics.h"
#include "Animation.h"

class Object
{
	public:
		Object();
		Object(char* file, int x, int y, int w, int h, int xspeed, int yspeed, int maxframes);

SDL_Surface* image;
		Animation animation;

int x;
		int y;
		int w;
		int h;
		int xspeed;
		int yspeed;
		int frame;
		int maxframes;
		bool animate;

static vector<Object*> ObjectList;

bool LoadObject(char* file, int w, int h, int maxframes);
		int GetCurrentFrame();
		void LoopObject();
		void RenderObject(SDL_Surface* destination);
		void RemoveObject();
};

#endif

#include "Object.h"

vector<Object*> Object::ObjectList;

Object::Object() {}

Object::Object(char* file, int x, int y, int w, int h, int xspeed, int yspeed, int maxframes)
{
	LoadObject(file, w, h, maxframes);
	this->x = x;
	this->y = y;
	this->xspeed = xspeed;
	this->yspeed = yspeed;
	animate = false;

ObjectList.push_back(this);
}

bool Object::LoadObject(char* file, int w, int h, int maxframes)
{
	if((this->image = Graphics::LoadImage(file)) == NULL)
	{
		return false;
	}

this->w = w;
	this->h = h;
	this->maxframes = maxframes;

return true;
}

int Object::GetCurrentFrame()
{
	return frame;
}

void Object::LoopObject()
{
	animation.Animate();
}

void Object::RenderObject(SDL_Surface* destination)
{
	if(destination == NULL || image == NULL) {return;}

if(w == 0 && h == 0)
	{
		Graphics::DrawImage(image, destination, x, y);
	}
	else
	{
		Graphics::DrawImage(image, destination, x, y, frame * w, frame * h, w, h);
	}
}

void Object::RemoveObject()
{
	if(image) {SDL_FreeSurface(image);}

image = NULL;
}

If you would like me to link the other related headers/sources, please tell me, but there are a lot though :P

Advertisement
Are you compiling a debug or release build? Make sure your CRT matches your config. Look under project properties->C/C++->Code Generation->Runtime Library

I found some people on other sites with the same problem. As you correctly point out, my CRT (has something to do with the C runtime library?) has to match my config. I was compiling under Debug with the 'Runtime Library' option set to 'Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)'.

By changing it to 'Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)' it worked. I also got advice from another site that worked: By changing Project properties-> C/C++ -> Preprocessor -> Preprocessor Definitions from 'WIN32;_DEBUG;_CONSOLE' to 'WIN32;NDEBUG;_CONSOLE', it worked as well.

I don't know which one, if any, is the best though.

Thanks for your help, ChaosEngine! :)

I forgot to mention that when changing the Runtime Library as described, I get th following warning (even so, everything compiles and works):

1>MSVCRTD.lib(cinitexe.obj) : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!