• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CPPNick

d3dx10d_42.dll not found ??

This topic is 3346 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I downloaded the most current directx sdk, and went through the MSDN tutorials on directx. I have finished the 7 tutorials and have my textured spinning cube. I can compile it and run it on my own computer, but when I run it on any other computer, even with windows vista, which supposedly has dx10 included, I get this error: "This application failed to start because d3dx10d_42.dll was not found." what am I doing wrong? is it a compiler setting I forgot to switch or something? thanks in advance =) edit: when I started this app, I have to add "d3d10.lib d3dx10d.lib" in "Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies" in the project settings to get the app to work.

Advertisement
You're trying to run it in Debug mode. You can only distribute Release mode executables (in general).

It sounds like it's trying to load the D3DX10 debug libraries. A normal (i.e. non-development) computer is not likely to have the debug libraries for anything.

Rebuild your project in "Release" mode (assuming you're using Visual Studio).

Edit: Bah, beaten to it.

I am compiling in release mode, but I do remember playing around with compiler settings..

I remember seeing some kind of setting like "Include debugging information" or something...what do I turn off to omit the debug stuff?

my file size is only coming out to like 55k as well..I remember compiling things like this in debug mode before and getting huge file sizes...

Quote:
Original post by CPPNick
I remember seeing some kind of setting like "Include debugging information" or something...what do I turn off to omit the debug stuff?
That's OK, you can leave that in. It's often useful to have debugging information for your app, even in release mode, so you can get useful stack traces and the like.

Just reading over your post again, it seems like this bit is the problem:
Quote:
when I started this app, I have to add "d3d10.lib d3dx10d.lib" in "Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies" in the project settings to get the app to work.
You want to have "d3dx10d.lib" in the additiona dependencies for debug builds, but for release builds you want "d3dx10.lib".

that does make sense. In additional dependencies, This is what I have now:
d3dx10.lib d3d10.lib
neither one of those libraries alone will work, it needs them both.
so I have omitted d3dx10d.lib, but its still not working =(
I get the same error about that missing dll.

edit:
I updated DirectX to the latest version on my laptop, and now instead of the file not found error, it just come up with the "your app has stopped working" thing..

but it stil works just fine on my main comp.

my main computer is running Windows 7. Could that have something to do with it?

This is SO wierd...........................................
I have installed DirectX November SDK on both my laptop(Vista) and main computer(Windows7). I also have Visual C++ 2008 Express edition installed on both of them.

This exact same app will compile and run fine on my main windows 7 computer, and will also compile fine on my laptop. It wont run on my laptop though. I also sent a copy to a friend with vista who also reported the same error =/

when I run in debug mode on my laptop, It errs, says access violation, shows dissasembly, and points to this line in my program, which seems pretty random..

fxmtxworld -> SetMatrix((float*)&mtxworld);

I don't get it ................

Try updating your drivers. What kind of laptop is it?
Also try installing the latest DirectX SDK.. are you sure you mean the November SDK, from last year?
If you think you might have a problem in your settings, create a new clean project and compile a minimal example, and see if it exhibits the behavior.

oops: little confused. It was november 08. I read that post about the SlimDX thing earlier today and got a little confused. I did have August 2009 SDK on both comps before I put the november one on, and had the same issue.

the laptop though................................

ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200M Specifications
Full DirectX 9.0 Support (Vertex Shader v2.0 and Pixel Shader v2.0)
[tears][tears][tears][tears]

I thought for sure the thing would have had directx 10.1..I can't believe it..

I thought my friends card supported it too, but it must not.

I have seen a DX9 project though..and the coding looks COMPLETELY different...is there any way to make my project work under directx10 without completely reprogramming it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!