• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonym

GUI libraries?

This topic is 3166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I want to create a level editor for a game I am working on. I heard I may need a GUI library and was wondering if there were any good options? I use c++ and direct3d, I am also familiar with OpenGL and SDL aswell, in case it's relevant. Thanks.

Advertisement
I would suggest doing it in C++/CLI and/or C#. I've been working on a similar thing for the last couple of months and its been fairly simple to acheive.

C++/CLI is a managed version of C++ running on .NET Framework. Available since Visual Studio 2005.

Regarding GUI - CEGUI is a commonly used user interface library for C++ programmers. It's open source and free but can be intimidating at first. Have a look at least:
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Tar

If you are going for an in-engine GUI, then I would have to recommend CEGUI, or better yet, Awesomium.

However, if this is a dedicated editor tool, I would recommend going the other way, and embedding your Direct3D/OpenGL renderer in an OS GUI (WinForms, wxWindows, QT, or similar). This will give you the ability to offer a much more familiar interface to your users, at a fraction of the implementation complexity.

I'd like to second the suggestion for Qt. It's a fantastic GUI library; well designed and easy to use. It's open source, cross platform, and the documentation is very good ... which is incredibly important when working with a 3rd party library.

Quote:
Original post by gfxnomad
I'd like to second the suggestion for Qt. It's a fantastic GUI library; well designed and easy to use. It's open source, cross platform, and the documentation is very good ... which is incredibly important when working with a 3rd party library.

In case you want a different perspective, I don't like Qt. Its signal/slot mechanism requires you to use a preprocessor and ugly macros. It also forces you to use Qt-provided classes for containers and strings.

Let me suggest gtkmm, which is a well-designed C++ wrapper around GTK+. It fits with C++ much better in my opinion. The licensing used to also be an argument in favor of gtkmm, but I know Qt has gotten better, so I don't know if this is still relevant.

Quote:
Original post by alvaro
In case you want a different perspective, I don't like Qt. Its signal/slot mechanism requires you to use a preprocessor and ugly macros. It also forces you to use Qt-provided classes for containers and strings.
While I agree with you analysis, QT does have several very nice features, such as out-of-the-box webkit integration.
Quote:
Let me suggest gtkmm, which is a well-designed C++ wrapper around GTK+. It fits with C++ much better in my opinion.
GTK is (IMHO) a pain to use cross-platform. Although Windows support is pretty decent these days, the Mac+GTK user experience is still not very pleasant.
Quote:
The licensing used to also be an argument in favor of gtkmm, but I know Qt has gotten better, so I don't know if this is still relevant.
QT used to be GPL, which prevented the development of closed-source applications. It is now available under the LGPL, which allows you to use it in closed-source/commercial applications provided you link dynamically.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!