• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hedrix

Air Resistance

This topic is 3345 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok guys, I'd like you to do me a favour ^^ please. I've been trying to solve one physics exercise(for university studies...), however I couldn't get the correct results. This is it: A man in a parachute falls from rest and reaches a limit velocity of 60 m/s. How long will it take him to reach 30 m/s? Assume that air resistance is directly proportional to the velocity and take g = 9.8 m/s2. At first, it seemd simple, but when I started working on it, and didn't get correct answer...I'll just tell what I've tryed so far: I don't know physics terminology good enough in english, so sorry for that ^^ 1.)I know that this object is being affected by 2 forces, Gravity force,I'll name it W, and Air resistance force, I'll name it D (as somtimes Air resistance force is called Drag Force). 2.)v=30m/s; v1=60m/s; When obejct is at velocity of 30 m/s, his acceleration a=(W-D)/m; thus t=v/(W-D)/m; because W=mg, we can write t=v/(mg-D)/m; When obejct is at velocity of 60 m/s (so called terminal velocity or limit velocity), a1=0 and W1=D1; so, now real fun begins >< if W1=W (as it's the same object) and D=D1/2 (or not?). I assumed that because v=v1/2; as for further...I really am not sure and that's why I need some help. Please share with me your wisdom and help a newcomer to university^^

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Hedrix
2.)v=30m/s; v1=60m/s;
When obejct is at velocity of 30 m/s, his acceleration a=(W-D)/m; thus t=v/(W-D)/m; because W=mg, we can write t=v/(mg-D)/m;

ERROR1:
Quote:
Original post by Hedrix
When obejct is at velocity of 30 m/s, his acceleration a=(W-D)/m;

No! it's acceleration is always: a=(W-D)/m;

ERROR2:
Quote:
Original post by Hedrix
thus t=v/(W-D)/m;

No! a=dv/dt that is a=v' (acceleration is the derivative -wrt time- of velocity)

ERROR 3:
Quote:
Original post by Hedrix
thus t=v/(W-D)/m; because W=mg, we can write t=v/(mg-D)/m;

If you assume v'=v/t (wich is absolutey wrong) you should get t=v*m/(m*g-D)

Anyway!
Abstraction is good! Forget the numerical values. They are just for the numerical application.
Try first to find the mathematical model of your problem! that is: What are the variables and how they depend on each other.

Some hints (may or may not be correct... hehe!)
Begining with:
a=(W-D)/m; that is v'(t)=(W-D(v(t)))/m; (because acceleration and velocity are function of time and Drag is function of velocity.)
and:
D(v)=Constant*v; (D is proportional to v)

You should end up with a differential equation . a linear one (something like: c0*v+c1*v'+c2=0;), so v(t) have an exponential term (something like: v(t)=v_max*(1-exp(-(g/v_max)*t)); gess why! why doesn't it depend on the mass?).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!