Guitar Riff Generator

Started by
5 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 14 years, 6 months ago
I wrote this random guitar riff generator: Guitar Riff Generator You can read a bit more about how I programmed this project on my Programmer's Journal here. (under construction). Here is an older thread on this topic, which I wasn't able to reply to because it is now locked: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=399854&whichpage=1� My riff generator is much more simple but also quite different in that it actually creates a AC/DC-style power chord guitar riff. I would like any suggestions to make it better. Have fun. [Edited by - comptek on December 29, 2009 1:45:55 PM]
Advertisement
Have you paid much attention to the rhythm? I bet if you look at AC/DC guitars riffs carefully, you'll see that there are rhythmic patters you are not incorporating into your random riffs.

I love this type of thing. At some point I'd love to do something like this for jazz piano.
I did incorporate basic rhythm into the program.. namely 1/4, 1/2 and whole notes at 96bpm which are what most AC/DC riffs are made up of. But, you are correct that I did not include any rhythm patterns which is a great idea. I am currently working on version 2 of this program which will be more advanced and will try to incorporate your suggestion. Thanks for checking it out!
Cool! Where did you get the guitar notes, and how does it generate the mp3. I am writing a tab reading program that plays tabs, and am adding chord features to it, and maybe a song generator thing eventually. What should I do for notes, cause it's a pain in the butt to record every note on the guitar...
I recorded every note on the guitar. :)

But my plan is actually to use midi to synthesize the notes and then use a midi instrument to make it sound like a guitar. The mp3 class merge function left a little space between each note which drives me bonkers.
Check out this old post:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=399854&whichpage=1&#2652595
this is something i had alot of fun with in reason with all it's wires.

I had premade a bunch of rythms, and then a few chord progressions. these would then combine to make a track. It was great for practicing solos, as iI could set up a key, and jam away. As for guitar sounds, there are a few sample libs out there that are relatively cheap (100-200 dollars) that sound great with just a bit of echo and reverb.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement