3D Math Books

Started by
2 comments, last by Storyyeller 14 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I've started learning DirectX, and I'm feeling my 3D math skills aren't up to speed (as in I don't understand a word of the first three chapters of Frank D. Luna's DirectX 10 book) I noticed he cites a couple of books that are recommended to read about 3D Math, but I also stumbled across another book which has some really good reviews so I wanted to know if anyone here has read and of these books: * 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development by Fletcher Dunn and Ian Parberry * Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics by Eric Lengyel * Essential Mathematics for Games & Interactive Applications: A Programmer's Guide by James M. Verth and Lars M. Bishop I've looked at the first one, and it starts from the beginning and has everything I need to understand it properly (with a little help from my Algebra textbook of course) but I've never heard of the other two, so I wanted to see what you guys think. I noticed on Amazon that 3D Math Primer is in a completely different category than the other two books, but they all have about the same rating.
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life
Advertisement
I have Essential Mathematics for Games & Interactive Applications: A Programmer's Guide. Although I haven't read through the entire book or anything, I have used it for reference and think it is a pretty good book.

I'd give more details but I left it on the other side of the country and won't have it again for a while.
3D Math Primer has MORE ratings on Amazon, and overall better ratings but of all books, the library doesn't have that one which is why I'm very hesitant now.

All three books are available at University of Denver >.< but half the time I can't get books from there. Essential Math is NEWER so I don't know if that has anything to say about it.
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life
I found Wikipedia to be enormously helpful when learning about 3d math. It has articles on lots of subjects that I've never seen in any of my math textbooks.

The articles on affine transformations and homogeneous coordinates are particularly relevant to computer graphics.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement