• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lothia

C++ IDE's?

This topic is 3172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm sure that this question has been asked hundreds of times before but I guess I will ask one more time along with a little it of a specific Q. I currently use Microsoft Visual Studios C++ professional but it is way to advanced for the level of projects I am doing (as well I cannot figure out how to do auto complete which I love so much from Eclipse IDE). So what other IDE's are good for C++ that can eventually do advanced projects? As well if there is actually a GOOD MVS C++ tutorial that would introduce someone to the IDE (I didn't like the ones provided with the product). Lastly I tried using the C/C++ for Eclipse IDE (mainly for Java) but I get huge compiler issues, if anyone has ever used it and knows of any additional steps that are required other then downloading the plug-in let me know. Thanks Craig

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Lothia
HI currently use Microsoft Visual Studios C++ professional but it is way to advanced for the level of projects I am doing

Way too advanced? What does it do that you would like it not to do?
Quote:
(as well I cannot figure out how to do auto complete which I love so much from Eclipse IDE).
Control-space?
Quote:
As well if there is actually a GOOD MVS C++ tutorial that would introduce someone to the IDE (I didn't like the ones provided with the product).
Can't help you there, sorry.

Sorry towards my auto-complete I wanted it so that when you do something like
PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE), after I do that first ( and press Ctrl+shift+space it will display what parameters are suppose to be, but it will not auto fill it in which is what I loved about Eclipse. Hopefully that makes since.
Well I guess it isn't to advanced as much as I think the learning curve is a bit higher then I had remembered it. Any who your question makes me realize that it was stupid to actually say it did to much for what I needed.

Try C# then, the auto complete in C# is lightyears ahead of C++. Or spend the money and get Visual Assist X which gives you Eclipse like auto complete.

What about code::blocks? I think I remember the auto-complete worked quite nice in it. However, as others have said, the auto-complete is not going to be as good as with C# or Java. The reason is because both Java and C# are IL languages, instead of being native computer language. My understanding is that the metadata stored in Java JARs and C# metadata is what allows the auto-complete to function so well. I may be way off on that, but that is what I have heard from several different sources.

Hello,

I'm using the Eclipse IDE ( even for OpenGL ).
At the beginning i had also compiler errors, but if you configure everything right it works.

Here are some tips for setting up your C++-Project for Eclipse right.
I'm using it with MinGW.

* First, download and install MinGW

Then setup the properties of your project :
* C/C++ Build -> Tool Chain Editor : Select 'MinGW GCC' as toolchain and 'GNU Make Builder' as current builder

* C/C++ Build : select 'External Builder' as Builder type

* C/C++ Build -> Environment : If it's not there, add a variable 'PATH' with the MinGW bin directory as value ( f.e. 'D:\MinGW\bin' )

* C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> GCC C++ Compiler -> Directories : If it is neccessary, add the 'include' path of your project

* C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> MinGW C++ Linker -> Libraries : If it is neccessary, add the MinGW 'lib' directory in 'Library search path' (f.e. 'D:\MinGW\lib') and other 'lib' directories, if you work with other external libraries.

* C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> MinGW C++ Linker -> Libraries : Add the libraries you want to work with under 'Libraries' ( f.e. glew32s, openglut, glu32, opengl32, ... ). Tip : if you have a lot of libraries to add to your project, edit the .cproject file in the project directory directly.

As additional step copy the executable from the 'Release' dir back into your main path : C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Build steps -> Post Build Steps -> Command : 'copy yourproject.exe ..'

That was enough for me to get a simple C++-Project to work.

Good Luck :)

Quote:
Original post by jtagge75
Try C# then, the auto complete in C# is lightyears ahead of C++. Or spend the money and get Visual Assist X which gives you Eclipse like auto complete.

Yeah even the latest versions of Xcode on the mac is way better than VS C++ for autocomplete and inserting code snippets I've noticed. It seems you need to get something like Visual Assist X as everyone here suggest to fix it or wait for VS2010 which is supposed to be greatly improved in regards to these aspects.
Future of intellisense.

Visual Studio pro and your a beginner? Good luck, eclipse is just as darn heavy. My experience as a noob has been to try these, and to give up and plum for either Code::Blocks (open GL works out the box) or DevC++ bloodshed. These two are all you need to learn, sometimes the biggies have too many bells and whistles that confuse rather than inform. DevC++ also has a handy package manager for installing libraries, a lot easier than downloading sources and building them for your system!!! When you beome NoobSaibot of the developer world then you do VS pro or eclipse. My experience of C++ and eclipse was bad by the may. Lame dog springs to mind, hint its intended for PHP and java.
Marcoose777

(The opinionated one)

Quote:
Original post by marcoose777
DevC++

I strongly disagree that anyone should ever use DevC++ if they have any choice in the matter.

Quote:
Original post by nobodynews
Quote:
Original post by marcoose777
DevC++

I strongly disagree that anyone should ever use DevC++ if they have any choice in the matter.

I have to agree. DevC++ was one of the best free C++ IDEs for years, but those days are over. Now with VC++ Express, Eclipse and code::blocks available, DevC++ is really only for when you have nothing else (which should be almost never). DevC++ has fallen way behind on features, and the IDE just feels very outdated. I personally do not use it because of some oddities in the code alignment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!