• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GameCreator

I need a new 3D engine

This topic is 3160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

mesh land, maincharacter;

initialize3Dengine();

setgraphics(1024,768,FULLSCREEN);

//  Automatically loads mesh at 0,0,0
land.loadmesh("land.3ds");

maincharacter.loadmesh("guy.3ds");
maincharacter.setposition(0,0,1);
maincharacter.setanimationframe(15);

showscreen();

Is there an engine (preferably free) that works as simply as the code above and supports meshes and animations generated by 3D Studio Max (or comes with a solid converter)? Irrlicht came close but it wasn't Max friendly. Ogre 3D is too complex. I want as much to be under the hood as possible. ZIP format a plus. At this time I'm considering 3D Game Studio but I'd like more options. Any suggestion welcome.

Advertisement
I think that you should take another look at Ogre3d. It's actually not as complex as you may think and there are lots of good tutorials on their website.

Cheers,

Bob

Leadwerks is a good engine with code similar to that. I'd suggest getting Leadwerks if you have the money. www.leadwerks.com

-Christian Howe

Some feedback:

I started out with Panda3D. After struggling with exporting from 3DS Max with Irrlicht, I was VERY impressed with how effortlessly Panda3D exports from Max. The code, too, is simple, as I hoped. However, it is true that, at this time, Panda3D heavily favors Python. C++ is secondary and many features are completely undocumented. Also, while there are beautiful and well-documented examples, they are, again, only in Python. Automatic shaders are currently only Python supported (there's mention of it possibly being supported in a future version). Having said that, the positives far outweigh any negatives and I'm happy to play with this engine.

I looked into Leadwerks but was a little frustrated on finding in the manual that you had to deal with things that Panda and Irrlicht don't make you do, like juggling buffers. For example, from the Post-Processing PDF:
Quote:
Leadwerks Engine features a low-level buffer and shader system which allows rendering of any kind of post-processing effect. Although this requires a deeper understanding of shaders than a simple "turn bloom on" system, it allows far greater flexibility. New post-processing effects can be added without having to modify the engine source code.

To render post-processing effects, we're going to use an additional buffer. We'll first render the scene to the gbuffer, then render lighting onto the postbuffer. In the last step, we'll draw the postbuffer color texture onto the back buffer, with post-processing effects applied, as shown in the diagram below. The first two effects we discuss will only use draw settings, while more advanced effects will use a postfilter shader.
Ogre seemed to be very similar - more low level than high. But yes, it does have a ton of useful C++ documentation.

That's exactly the thing though. I'm HAPPY to sacrifice flexibility for something that just works. If I can only choose between turnbloomon(ALOT); versus turnbloomon(ALITTLE); I have no complaints.

Thank you for the suggestions. Any others are welcome.

[Edited by - GameCreator on October 23, 2009 1:33:56 PM]

Yup, Panda3D's auto-shader thingy seems to be gaining popularity, especially when you dont want to write your own shaders/ scripts etc.

If you want something very light, you might want to check Horde3D, which is a graphics only API. It supports Maya and Max (with un-official Blender support) and features some pretty eye-candy. However, you might need a bit more effort than youve mentioned above, but IMO its worth it.

Quote:
Original post by samuraicrow
FWIW, Python will be gaining in performance soon due to the Unladen Swallow project. Is that your hangup with Python in Panda3D?

Are they cramming that through LLVM or just optimizing it some more?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!