How to make a USB doorbell

Started by
16 comments, last by Moe 14 years, 6 months ago
Hello All Maybe this is on par to an "I want to make an MMORPG" thread - I have no idea. I would like to make a simple USB door bell - press the button and the computer makes a noise. I my mind this would go one of two ways: press button send signal to PIC PIC sends signal to computer through USB driver picks up signal informs program makes noise OR press button voltage is sent to computer through USB (via battery in doorbell) driver picks up signal informs program makes noise I would love to know how to go about doing this. Can any of you guys give me some ideas? I'm more than happy with programming, so suggestions there good too. Thanks, Richard Hughes
Advertisement
Take a USB mouse.
Take out the mouse ball.
Glue it to your door. (The mouse, that is.)
On the computer, position a button under the mouse cursor that plays a sound when pressed.
LOL
Reminds me a little bit of this.
Using the serial port is an easier route to take; a switch could be connected to the DCD, CTS or DSR pins. When these pins change state, an event can be triggered. If you absolutely must have USB (eg due to a lack of serial ports on your computer) you could use a USB to serial adaptor, which will install a virtual COM port.

(Of course, if this is intended to be a learning project that does sort of suck out the fun aspect; this is how I'd implement it myself, though).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
Using the serial port is an easier route to take; a switch could be connected to the DCD, CTS or DSR pins. When these pins change state, an event can be triggered. If you absolutely must have USB (eg due to a lack of serial ports on your computer) you could use a USB to serial adaptor, which will install a virtual COM port.

(Of course, if this is intended to be a learning project that does sort of suck out the fun aspect; this is how I'd implement it myself, though).

Sounds interesting - I'll give that a shot.

Thanks
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Take a USB mouse.
Take out the mouse ball.
Glue it to your door. (The mouse, that is.)
On the computer, position a button under the mouse cursor that plays a sound when pressed.

In accordance with USB specs,it will work only with cable length less than 4-5 meters.
-----------------------
The most easy solution will be to buy COM port-USB bridge (~15$,made in China People Republic),connect button to one of COM-port lines (MODEM STATUS line for instance) ,and check virtual COM-port registers state in user program.
---
Edit: like it was already proposed by benryves [smile]
If there is a desire to sold something by own hands , FT245 or FT232 chips (~6$) can be used with PIC or other controller.

[Edited by - Krokhin on October 18, 2009 2:39:42 AM]
Quote:Original post by Krokhin
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
1.Take a USB mouse.
2.Take out the mouse ball.
3.Glue it to your door. (The mouse, that is.)
4.On the computer, position a button under the mouse cursor that plays a sound when pressed.

In accordance with USB specs,it will work only with cable length less than 4-5 meters.

Step 5. Either:
5a. Move computer to within 4-5 meters of door and plug USB cable in.
5b. Make sure the mouse in step 1 was wireless and within range of computer.

Lots of companies manufacture USB buttons. Google images shows a few that I would *LOVE* to have as a doorbell. (Time to start shopping. Thanks for the stupid idea.)

Or my favorite on the Google search:

....must have USB Armageddon Switch as doorbell....
Great, I love that last one, especially the short but clear instructions printed on it:

1 -> 2 -> 3 ->
I do love the idea of using a mouse - but then I wont be able to use one at the same time :/

The USB button sounds like a cool idea - maybe if I fail...

Quote:Original post by benryves
*snip*

I noticed in the circuit diagram the 10K label - what does that mean?

circuit diagram

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement