Salary

Started by
10 comments, last by Julia_Robert 22 years, 8 months ago
A lot of programmer are telling me that game programming isn''t well paid compared with other kind of programming like: (Web Programming, Windows Programming & Microsoft technology (.Net framework)) etc.. is that true ? I wanted to know your opinion -because it could be a factor for me does the difference of salary is that big ? anyone have a couple of website I can see salary study ? Thanks guys
Advertisement
I do vb programming as a job. I get $8.75 an hour, which is less than other programmers I work with, but I''m also younger (16). they get around 10-11 an hour. it''s not great. but it''s just a summer job for me.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
The July 2001 issue of Game Developer magazine had an in-depth suvey about this. I''ll try to post some of the relevant information. Since you''re interested in programming, I''ll just post that, but they had everything else like artists, designers, etc.

Ok, a regular game programmer with 1-2 years experience makes on average (all of these figures will be average salaries) $55.478 thousand a year. with 3-5 years experience, $62.394, and with 6+, $69.128. For lead game programmers, 1-2 years, $56.539. For 3-5 years, $61.775. And for 6+, $88.358.

About 54.3% of regular game programmers have 1-2 years of experience. About 31.9% have 3-5 years, and 13.8% have 6+ years. About 36.7% lead programmers have 1-2 years. 47% have 3-5 years. And 16.3% have 6+ years.

Also, for all programmers, 97% were male, 3% female. Average female salary - $70,013. Average male, $62,488. The highest salary they found was $300,000.

Sorry I don''t have any information on regular (application) programmers. But I''m pretty sure they make on average more than game developers. Hope you found some of this useful.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Minimum I''ve recieved for a VB job is $23/hr....I had 1-2 years non-work experience when I started.

Epolevne
That''s fairly competetive salaries, better than it''s been made to sound.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
You''d think with the level of difficulty and competition there is to get into the game industry the salaries provided would be quite good.
Not sure what you talking about but starting out at nearly 60k/year after just 1-2 years of experiance is REALLY good. I''m actually suprised they are so high, being that everyone talks like regular application programming pays more than game programming. I guess regular application programming pays really really good...
Don''t forget benefits!!!

Smile, it won''t let you live longer, but it is funny when they die with a smile.
Smile, it won't let you live longer, but it is funny when they die with a smile.
Don''t forget that a large percentage of those jobs are in Silicon Valley where a 3 bedroom fixer upper can cost you close to a million. Either that or a two hour commute each way so you can get the affordable $300k home.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
LilBudyWizer is right, these statistics don''t cover cost of living. Making 60k in Silicon Valley could possibily be comparable to making something like 30k in an area where cost of living is relatively low.

- Houdini
- Houdini

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement