The elements of an RPG

Started by
8 comments, last by Crazy Wizard 22 years, 9 months ago
I''ve noticed that in the past few days several people have posted questions about magic, combat, etc. in an RPG. If there have been several in the past few days than its probably a topic of great interest. I was just wondering if there was an article about this topic. If there isn''t then would there be interest in such an article? If there''s already an article on this topic would there be interest in another one?
Advertisement
Heya Crazy Wizard,

Maybe you haven't noticed, but 50, no, wait, 70% of the topics on this forum are RPG-related. Also, most of us are developing RPG in some way. Not to mention this forum is one of the main sources of information for the FoRPG document (you can find it here: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1286.asp).

Anyway, what's that article you propose on? I'd be interested in any piece of information on RPGs, as long as it's new and original.

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on July 22, 2001 7:51:49 AM
Boby Dimitrovhttp://forums.rpgbg.netBulgarian RPG Community
Well, I don''t know exactly what it''ll be on until I write, but here''s what I''m thinking. I''ll try to cover most of the common questions regarding developing an RPG world. At the moment I plan on including the following topics:

Combat
Economics
Story Structure
Magic Systems
Character Development
Consistancy with Setting

As I think about it more I may come up with more topics. For each, I''ll try to discuss several variations i.e. combat - balancing magic vs. malee, multi-character vs. single character, economics - barter, gold based, multiple currency types, etc.

I''ll try to approach each topic from several angles. I can''t guarantee new and original, since I haven''t formulated all my ideas yet, but I think I''ve got some original stuff. I''ll look through some of the posts around here to see what''s been said, what the concensus is on some topics, and to try to spark some ideas that haven''t been thought of before.
I''d like to see any good stuff on RPG development...
Combat would be good... how to achieve some randomness in combat... Story would be also interesting...
What should that ''Constancy with Setting'' be?
All that stuff you proposed sounds interesting.
What would really help me would be a history of rpg design - what what the first game to have what feature, and when was it published? This would be great for features like game+, various types of character customizability, types of inventories, weapon and magic system types, etc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

As I mentioned above, go and read the Future of RPGs document before starting this article. The doc summarizes most good ideas on RPGs from this forum and the AI forum. Here''s the url again:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1286.asp

Later

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team
quote:Original post by Crazy Wizard
I''ll try to cover most of the common questions regarding developing an RPG world. At the moment I plan on including the following topics:

Combat
Economics
Story Structure
Magic Systems
Character Development
Consistancy with Setting

As I think about it more I may come up with more topics. For each, I''ll try to discuss several variations i.e. combat - balancing magic vs. malee, multi-character vs. single character, economics - barter, gold based, multiple currency types, etc.

I''ll try to approach each topic from several angles. I can''t guarantee new and original, since I haven''t formulated all my ideas yet, but I think I''ve got some original stuff.

Hey, not to be sarcastic, but one thing you could cover would be ways non-Tolkeinesque RPGs handle some of these systems. Fallout, Deus Ex, System Shock, etc., had similar but I''m sure different concerns and implications based sheerly on their change of setting.

Just a thought in the interest of doing something new...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
What scares me about a resource like that is that it may become a sort of crutch. After all, if someone has a document that states "how to make an RPG" is it likely that they''d follow that, rather than try to make something original. Sometimes guidelines can stifle creativity.

On the other hand, it might be a good place to get started, and might even introduce some new ways of thinking about RPG systems. And that would be decidely good.

Hmmm.... I think I''m split.
I say go for it! You can always get feedback from ppl and improve the article, right?

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team
I am keen on reading anything you come up with crazy as I am trying to design an RPG right now and lets face it I need ideas on how I might do some things. I agree with people in that new ideas and not using articles as a crutch but in the end people are going to have to be intelligent enough to know the difference anyway. Articles are GREAT resources but the reader has to use the knowledge effectively.

I would say please do, go for it. I am printing off that article that was quoted to get a feel for what other ideas have been posted already in addition to searching out more of these topics.

later
ME out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement