• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
levjs

Tree Growing Simulation

This topic is 3339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm looking to implement a simple 2D tree growing simulation. Does anyone know any good paper's or articles on this subject? Thank you in advance, -Levi

Advertisement
Quote:
I am great. Read my blog for more of my greatness. I had to blur my picture up so my greatness won't blind you.

Regarding that quote from your blog, I must seriously ask you: What have you tried?

Anyways. The algorithmic botany might be a good starting point.

Historically people have used L-systems for this (though it's really just a formalism for expressing certain kinds of fractals; by itself it doesn't tell you anything about how to model plant growth).

First of all, ignore the blog. My name isn't Dave and that's something different. If you want the background story, I'd be more than happy to oblige, but this isn't the time or place.

Second of all, I'm not new to development. I've been in it for 5 years. I have never tried to model plant growth before, however, so my ignorance in this field could be taken as arrogance. Please forgive me.

I am more than capable of reading a technical article and drawing valuable information from it. I think that the kind of question you are referring to is someone asking something like "How do I make a plant grow?". Again, perhaps there are no good articles, or major accepted algorithms for this application, and if so, I am again showing my ignorance in this field.

I did do a little preliminary searching on Google to look for a general algorithm, but I found nothing, and I figured since this is a development forum, I would get a lot quicker, a lot faster if I could ask for help here.

Thank you for your help though,
-Levi

Thank you. L-System, from a preliminary look, seems just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Quote:
Original post by levjs
First of all, ignore the blog. My name isn't Dave and that's something different. If you want the background story, I'd be more than happy to oblige, but this isn't the time or place.

Second of all, I'm not new to development. I've been in it for 5 years. I have never tried to model plant growth before, however, so my ignorance in this field could be taken as arrogance. Please forgive me.

I am more than capable of reading a technical article and drawing valuable information from it. I think that the kind of question you are referring to is someone asking something like "How do I make a plant grow?". Again, perhaps there are no good articles, or major accepted algorithms for this application, and if so, I am again showing my ignorance in this field.

I did do a little preliminary searching on Google to look for a general algorithm, but I found nothing, and I figured since this is a development forum, I would get a lot quicker, a lot faster if I could ask for help here.

Thank you for your help though,
-Levi

Quote:
Original post by phresnel
The algorithmic botany ...

... is exactly by the inventors and seemingly most active researchers of L-Systems, and was not just meaningless talk ;)

Phresnel: I'm sorry. I really did mean the "Thank you for your help." at the end of my post. Looking back I realize it doesn't look that way.

So Thank you!

And I realize my original question may have seemed a little too open, but I really didn't know where to start, so again, my apologies.

Yeah, I should probably take it off of my profile here.

The short story is that it's a parody of bloggers who think that people really want to listen to them rant about their lives in vivid detail. So it's supposed to be taking with a (huge) grain of salt.

It was obviously a bad move to reference it on here though. :)

I googled 'fractal tree' and got something like this immediately.

http://davis.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/fractals/trees.html

no doubt the search would also find something more comprehensive.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!