How to create an installer

Started by
3 comments, last by Jofunk 22 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering what is required to create an installer for a program and if there are any good tutorials on creating an install program, either from an API or from scratch. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Don''t write your own installer!!

Either use a commercial one, InstallShield is the standard, though it''s a bit pricey for most people, or use a free one.

There''s plenty of free ones, but I recommend the Visual Studio installer. It''s free for anyone who owns VC++ (you can download it from microsoft here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/vsi11/download.asp) It''s not very full-featured, but it uses the Windows Installer engine, and does most of what you''ll want for a simple game.

Whichever installer you choose, make sure it supports Windows Installer (that is, it produces .msi files, not .cab files or anything else). This is what everyone should be using to write installers (in fact you have to use it if you want a "Designed for Windows 2000" logo - though you probably don''t if you''re just going it alone)

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.
Thanks. That was pretty much what I was looking for. I will take a look at the one for Visual Studio owners.
Inno Setup is good. And its free to boot.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
also try out InstallMaker by Clickteam: really easy to use, great compression, you'll have your installer ready in minutes:

InstallMaker

Edited by - ToastedSoul on July 22, 2001 5:04:02 AM
CheersToastedSoul

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement