oop question...

Started by
0 comments, last by Buckeye 14 years, 6 months ago
I was planning on breaking down all of the features I was thinking of implimenting into my game (rpg) into modules that would plug into the core program. Ex... Core App Combat system Class system (Module for each class) Crafting system (Module for each tradeskill) etc... (I have a working list somewhere around here, but I can't find it atm) Pros: -Modularity would make changing/tweaking aspects of the program easier for me to impliment. -It would help keep me focused on the specific aspects of the program I am currently working on. Cons: -Possible bloating of the program? My real worry is how this will affect how fast the program will function (being that it currently looks like it will involve a lot of modules) and weither or not this may cause bloating within the program (again reducing effeciency). If anyone could offer some feedback it would be appreciated. (On a side note, I thought this would be a great way to impliment a "GM" mode (via a module) for game testing and debugging purposes, then compiling without that module to avoid it being exploited as a hack/cheat after distribution.)
Advertisement
Can you describe what you mean by "module" and how it would "plug" into a program? Do you mean some sort of library, linked or dynamic?

In general terms, an RPG game spends most of its time waiting for user input, so application speed shouldn't be an issue unless you're doing 1000s of disk acceses or something similar.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement