Question about java.

Started by
8 comments, last by VildNinja 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello, im a starting programmer seeking to make a 2d side scrolling shooter game. Im in my first programing class right now but were using a programming language and compiler called Processing. It's supposed to be a basic form of java. So far we've done basic 2d images and messed around with loops, objects, classes, selection statements and the sort. Would it be realistic for me to make a 2d Game using this language? Does anyone have any experience with the language that can give me some insight? Or does anyone have a better direction I could go in?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by BlackwaterMerk
Hello, im a starting programmer seeking to make a 2d side scrolling shooter game. Im in my first programing class right now but were using a programming language and compiler called Processing. It's supposed to be a basic form of java.

Hadn't heard of it 'til now. Not a fan of the name, really.

Quote:Original post by BlackwaterMerk
So far we've done basic 2d images and messed around with loops, objects, classes, selection statements and the sort. Would it be realistic for me to make a 2d Game using this language? Does anyone have any experience with the language that can give me some insight? Or does anyone have a better direction I could go in?

Processing itself? Not sure, but it seems Turing-complete, and seems to have extensive graphical capabilities, so I don't see why not. I don't know how I'd go about it, though.

Java? Definitely, and it'd be a good choice for a number of reasons. Regarding insight, I'd start with the Beginner forum FAQ Forum FAQ, or this reference. There is a lot to game development, far more than can be covered by a bit of "insight" in one thread.
Sounds good, Im pretty sure im going to go with java. But with processing, the actual processing program itself is my programming window, and compiler, how do I access the programming window for java? I don't know if im using the right term. How do I access the window that I will input my code into is my question I guess. Do I have to download anything extra from the java website?
also what exactley is java2D?
Quote:
Sounds good, Im pretty sure im going to go with java. But with processing, the actual processing program itself is my programming window, and compiler, how do I access the programming window for java? I don't know if im using the right term. How do I access the window that I will input my code into is my question I guess. Do I have to download anything extra from the java website?

You're probably looking for an IDE (integrated development environment). I don't know much about Java so I can't recommend any, I guess there's NetBeans and Eclipse and such. This may be a good place to start; also try Google, search for things like "getting started with Java," and "Java development tools," et cetera.

Quote:
also what exactley is java2D?

An API for doing 2D work in Java.
wow thank you so much!!! you've been very helpfull. I downloaded java 2d and it came with an ide called netbeans. I'll mess with it and try to start out by going through basic 2d java game making tutotials like pong and asteroids.
NetBeans is a quality IDE, you should find yourself quite comfortable with it.

Quote:Original post by jpetrie
I don't know much about Java so I can't recommend any, I guess there's NetBeans and Eclipse and such. This may be a good place to start; ...

There are other IDEs, most prominently IntelliJ IDEA by JetBrains, who have recently announced an open-source "community edition"; but NetBeans and Eclipse are the big two, and both are free/open source and extremely advanced.
And yes, java.sun.com is your friend, definitely. Java may very well have the best official reference documentation of any language and/or platform.
In my opinion Eclipse has completely out-shined NetBeans in the last couple of years, mostly because the Java community has really latched on to it. Eclipse has pretty much any add-on or extension you could possibly think of. NetBeans is still very supported and getting love, but it has a long way to go to catch up with all the user-created features of Eclipse.
in your opinion which is more user friendly?
When I first started with Java 4-5 years ago, i tried both netBeans and eclipse. And I found netBeans to be the most userfriendly IDE.

It's probably true that eclipse has a lot of nice plugins, but I don't think you'll be using any of those in the fist very long time. But again just in the four years I have been using netBeans, it has evolved enormously, so I don't think the differences is that big anymore.

I am using netBeans for anything from php to Java or C++, and I am not considering to change IDE anytime soon :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement