• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blah2

DirectX 8 Audio question

This topic is 6300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m trying to load a .wav file using directx 8. Now I guess the new way to do it with directx 8 is to load a .wav file as a IDirectMusicSegment8 and play it the same way as a midi. But the problem I have is that since my .wav files are stored in my own file structure, I can''t just give directx 8 my filename. See, I can load a .wav file correctly if I do it the normal way, like this: gLoader->LoadObjectFromFile(CLSID_DirectMusicSegment, IID_IDirectMusicSegment8, wstrFileName, (LPVOID*)&segment); But like I said before, I have to load it into memory first, and that way doesn''t work for some reason: DMUS_OBJECTDESC object; memset(&object, 0, sizeof(DMUS_OBJECTDESC)); object.dwSize = sizeof(DMUS_OBJECTDESC); object.dwValidData = DMUS_OBJ_CLASS | DMUS_OBJ_NAME | DMUS_OBJ_MEMORY; object.guidClass = CLSID_DirectMusicSegment; MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, filename, -1, object.wszName, DMUS_MAX_NAME); // I fill object.llMemLength and object.pbMemData here gLoader->GetObject(&object, IID_IDirectMusicSegment8, (LPVOID*)&segment); When I do it that way, the program crashes at GetObject. I know that llMemLength and pbMemData have been filled correctly, because I used the same method I used for .mid files and that worked. Either this is a bug in directx8 or the LoadObjectFromFile function does something extra that I don''t know about. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading -------Blah

Advertisement
from msdn tutorials:

CHAR strPath[MAX_PATH];
GetWindowsDirectory( strPath, MAX_PATH );
strcat( strPath, "\\media" );

// Convert to Unicode.

WCHAR wstrSearchPath[MAX_PATH];
MultiByteToWideChar( CP_ACP, 0, strPath, -1,
wstrSearchPath, MAX_PATH );

// Set the search directory.

g_pLoader->SetSearchDirectory(
GUID_DirectMusicAllTypes, // Types of files sought.

wstrSearchPath, // Where to look.

FALSE // Don''t clear object data.

);

if (FAILED(g_pLoader->LoadObjectFromFile(
CLSID_DirectMusicSegment, // Class identifier.

IID_IDirectMusicSegment8, // ID of desired interface.

file, // filename must be in format L"Filename.wav"

(LPVOID*) &g_pSegment // Pointer that receives interface.

)))
{
MessageBox( NULL, "Media not found, sample will now quit.",
"DirectAudio", MB_OK );
return 0;
}

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page

I know, I can make the program work with the
''LoadObjectFromFile'' function. But my .wavs are in a
custom data structure, like quake''s .pak structure. So
I have to load the file myself and then load it into
directx from memory. But I can''t get that method to work.

------Blah

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!