• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmrldDrgn

Replace Windows Desktop Right Click Context Menu

This topic is 3255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to replace the right-click context menu on a Windows desktop? I honestly don't have any idea where to look for information on this, so I really just want to know anyone's thoughts about this. Methods, ideas, whatever you got, lay it on me! Thanks!

Advertisement
Why do you want to replace it?

Replacing it is a very bad idea, because it will break many things and prevent users from doing what they want with their files. If the idea is to make some kind of restricted environment where users can't change settings, the way to do that is through "security policies".

If you want to add your own options to the menu, the keywords you are looking for are "shell extension" and/or "shell integration".

Why do I want to replace it? ... to see if I can, mostly. Also because it annoys me, so I want to try to see if I can make it into something that doesn't.

I'm not really envisioning anyone ever using this, it's mostly just a fun project to work on in my spare time.

What I'm envisioning is that it contain all the same options (well, most of them), but display them in a different way. For instance, rather than the typical rectangle below the point of origin, maybe it draws the context menu as a circle around the click location. Or maybe the options that are used most frequently are just a little bigger. Something like that.

That could be kind of cool. My guess is that that sort of thing would be buried pretty deeply in Explorer code, but who knows...

Let us know if you work something out; I'd love to see it.

I would guess the simplest approach would be to inject a thread into the explorer process and then subclass the desktop window, looking for the WM_CONTEXTMENU notification.

Although, when I say "simplest" I mean "not actually all that simple, but probably the best you can expect" [wink]

maybe it would be easier to kill explorer.exe in processes and make your own with whatever menues you want. As I can see, it is only responsible for desktop picture and taskbar, and win explorer itself, but everything works just fine without it running.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!