• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vladic2000x

"Pin to start menu" shortcut crash!!

This topic is 3160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! When I try to start the shortcut of my program (program is built with VC 2003) that was created through "Pin to start menu", it crashes. As far as I understand the program doesn't launch in the folder where the data files are stored. Is there an explicit way to tell to compiler to include the data folder path during compile? Any help greatly appreciated!!! Vlad

Advertisement
If you right-click a shortcut and click 'Properties', you'll notice a 'Start In' variable. If that's not set properly, then that's where your problems are coming from.

It doesn't look like a shortcut... When you use "Pin to start menu" option (when right click on a file) it creates something like a shortcut in Start Menu, but it's not a shortcut actually. It's like a copy of the file... I don't know.

Pin to Startup menu is a shortcut underneath.

The problem is that you probably coded relative paths to your resources ("images\.." etc.)

A common approach is to get the executable path on startup (call GetModuleFilename, strip the executable filename) and build an absolute path when reading resources.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!