How to start with?

Started by
11 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 5 months ago
During my high school I had some basic knowledge of programming languages. And I was very fond of playing online games and used to kill my leisure time with this only. How can I combine my knowledge and interest both to have a career ahead?
Advertisement
Not long ago I was in the same boat as you. Great interest in gaming, and also the desire to find out how I could make it a productive and rewarding career. This site is a great asset to both of those. Their beginner section will help you out considerably in your goal of anything to do with this industry.

What I would strongly suggest is a lot of reading and applying. Get a simple compiler (Dev C++ is one I started out with, or even Microsoft has a great free option) and begin playing around with code after reading up. The net makes becoming a programmer much easier than it used to be, so if you really have a desire to do it begin reading and trying to apply what you have read into your own code, and programs.

I am going for a degree myself, but that's not the road for everyone. Just a piece of paper that I hope puts my resume in a better spot on the pile. Most programmers you will find are self-taught, so let that be a vote of encouragement that where there is desire there is definitely the ability to be something in this industry. Unlike many other fields you can learn from the comfort of your home and grasp the knowledge to actually see a product from it.

Also there are many indie companies out there who will be asking for help. Once you get some knowledge base you can begin by helping with those, and there generally will be a lead or someone who can help you along the way. Again, this site is a huge help and if you just spend some time on here each day you will notice that it all will begin to sink in.

Hope this helps.
Moving to For Beginners.

Quote:
During my high school I had some basic knowledge of programming languages. And I was very fond of playing online games and used to kill my leisure time with this only. How can I combine my knowledge and interest both to have a career ahead?

Which languages? If you're looking to re-familiarize yourself with what programming is all about, I'd suggest learning Python, as it is an excellent language, especially for neophytes in your position.
Why not "View Forum FAQ"? (Just a wacky thought.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What about trying your hand at modding a mod-friendly game? This is a very simple and common introduction to game development, and a lot of the games use pretty straight-forward scripting languages to change the logic. Maybe try making a module for Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2? Both NWN games are very mod-friendly and have built-in editors. There are also tons of resources online. This could be a good way to combine game development and your enjoyment of playing games, because you will be beginning with a completed game that you can try out, mod a bit, try out a again, etc. From there, if you like doing the simple coding for game modding, you could try making a simple project in a beginner-friendly language such as Python.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Moving to For Beginners.

Quote:

Which languages? If you're looking to re-familiarize yourself with what programming is all about, I'd suggest learning Python, as it is an excellent language, especially for neophytes in your position.

I have basic knowledge of C ++.Is it possible to move ahead in this and become an excellent game designer.
Sure, C++ dominates a lot of the game industry. I don't know about game-specific resources (though the Forum FAQ should prove immensely helpful), but I suggest you get a grounding in programming, computer science and C++ first before you set your sights on the mantle of Game Programmer, and I've always felt that Steve Heller is a good resource for that.

As for the "Designer" bit, that's a bit different to the Programming role. Game Design is probably the epicentre of childhood-dream territory in game development, so getting one of these positions is bound to be extremely tough. Programming is probably as good an inroads into Design as any, though, if not better than most.
How can I move further to pursue a degree in game design as I feel that earning a degree is more beneficial then just having knowledge of it.
Yes, it’s true that having a degree in hand is more beneficial from career point of view. Are you looking for regular degree or online course to enhance your skills?
Anyone saying C++ is good for getting into game design needs to stop giving advice.

Game Design is not the same as Game Development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement