• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tweduk

[SlimDX r1242] How to use a compiled DX10 shader without effects framework

This topic is 3160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, If (for example) I have a compiled vertex shader in a file and want to create a VertexShader object (without using the effects framework), there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I am looking at the r1242 SlimDX sources. I would have thought the most logical way to do it would be to have an overload in the ShaderByteCode class, maybe a constructor, that accepts something like an array of byte, which would be the compiled shader loaded from the file. However the current methods seem to imply that the only supported way to get a ShaderByteCode object is by compiling some HLSL programmatically. In other words, the current system doesn't appear to support precompiled shaders without the effects framework. I could easily be missing something though... Any advice for me? It's not really a pressing concern, since I have worked around this so far by hacking on a few methods to SlimDX. cheers

Advertisement
No, there does not appear to be a way to do that right now. I'm looking to overhaul the shader/effects system for D3D10 and D3D11 soon, so I'll make sure this gets addressed. The main issue is that DirectX provides a ridiculously large number of ways to manage shader data, so bits and pieces get lost in the confusion as we try to decide what to implement.

Quote:
Original post by Mike.Popoloski
No, there does not appear to be a way to do that right now. I'm looking to overhaul the shader/effects system for D3D10 and D3D11 soon, so I'll make sure this gets addressed. The main issue is that DirectX provides a ridiculously large number of ways to manage shader data, so bits and pieces get lost in the confusion as we try to decide what to implement.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the hard work you and the others have put it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!