• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BashG

Challenging others for money

This topic is 3341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi What are the laws around challenging players for money in games? So say for example, I set up a site where guys can play a game I developed, and the 'host' starts a $20 game. Then if another player thinks he is good enough he can accept the challenge, putting in his $20, thereby having a total of $40. And the winner then takes the $40. As this is purely skill-based, with no chance or luck factor, ie. not considered gambling, is it legal? [Edited by - BashG on October 24, 2009 9:34:37 AM]

Advertisement
> What are the laws around challenging players for money in games?

Check with a lawyer who specializes in gambling & lottery legislation.

> As this is purely skill-based, with no chance or luck factor,
> ie. not considered gambling, is it legal?

What you described IS gambling. Gambling is the betting of something of value on the outcome of a contingency or event, the result of which is uncertain and may be determined by chance, skill, a combination of chance and skill, or a contest.

Gambling is heavily regulated and laws vary from a legislation to the next. Check with a lawyer.

-cb

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!