• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
emforce

Side scroller

This topic is 3251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys I am starting a 2D rpg side scroller. and I would like to know how you would go about doing a couple of things. I have basically set up a small window area in which the players character will be displayed. I am hoping to get this to have side scroller ability but I have no Idea as to how to do this. Do you have any good tutorials you would recommend? Also I was wondering how I would go about getting the mouse to work. This is going to be a computer game so I need to get the mouse up and running. Thanks for now.

Advertisement
Quote:
Oh. Sorry XNA and C#.
Ok, a good next step would probably be to clarify what you mean by 'side scroller ability'. Are you talking about how to handle the background elements? How to implement scrolling? How to implement character motion?
Quote:
Also I was wondering how I would go about getting the mouse to work. This is going to be a computer game so I need to get the mouse up and running.
What do you mean exactly? I haven't used XNA myself, but I would assume it has support for events and user input. Or are you talking about how to make use of mouse input in a particular context?

I want a side scroller which has similar functionality to that of one of the old pac man games. Your character is at the center and you then move either left or right across the screen and come across different obstacles and enemies. Mario would be another good example of what I am going for.

About the mouse. you cannot see or use the mouse with the basic groundings of XNA. I was wondering how I could get it so that I can load my own mouse 2D texture and take input.

Quote:
Original post by emforce
I want a side scroller which has similar functionality to that of one of the old pac man games. Your character is at the center and you then move either left or right across the screen and come across different obstacles and enemies. Mario would be another good example of what I am going for.

About the mouse. you cannot see or use the mouse with the basic groundings of XNA. I was wondering how I could get it so that I can load my own mouse 2D texture and take input.

Have you checked out XNA Platformer Starter Kit? It may be a good place to start.

Although, it should be pointed out that there is a difference between a Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Mario game and a game like Super Mario Brothers or Sonic, where the whole level scrolls to the side.

A platform game need not be a side scroller; although it can. It is more difficult to implement smooth side scrolling. So maybe you should just start with something like the XNA Platform Starter kit does.

As far as the mouse thing goes: You can just blit a sprite to follow the mouse pointer to make a custom mouse pointer in-game. Check out something like this to familiarize yrself with XNA mouse input. Or here.

Edit: I just found this discussion called: Adding a Scrolling Level. It looks like it would serve you well. So I strongly advise to check out the kit and read all that you can about it. I think it will provide you with a great starting foundation.

Thanks a lot for your very informative reply. I will have a look at the what you have said tomorrow. To late tonight! :D night guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!