THE best tools for

Started by
4 comments, last by Scourage 14 years, 5 months ago
cross platform game development. I am already interested in SDL & OpenGl for game development. I like the idea of write once, run everywhere. I have heard of CG from Nvidia but don't know much about it. So feel free to share your thoughts on the best cross platform tools out there.
Advertisement
Cross what platforms?

There's not much point us listing tools which work on Windows, MacOS and Linux if you're targetting XBox 360, PS3 and Wii.
Quote:Original post by andy_boy
I like the idea of write once, run everywhere.
Yeah, "write once, run anywhere" may well be one of the biggest scams of modern computing. It does not work for anything of reasonable complexity. Even if the technical problems are worked out, the end user experience is god awful. The simple reality is that you're better off properly tuning your work for each platform that it's available for.

To answer your question, the absolute best cross platform tool out there would have to be VMWare.

P.S. I hear ScummVM based games are actually very reliably write once run anywhere. Far more portable than probably any other environment in existence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
P.S. I hear ScummVM based games are actually very reliably write once run anywhere. Far more portable than probably any other environment in existence.

Interesting... What do you think makes ScummVM based games so portable compared to other engines which claim to be cross platform?
Well the original system that it implements is from over twenty years ago, for starters. Most devices now can do anything a home computer could do in 87. That, and people love porting its open source implementation to whatever.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
There's the Panda3d game engine. It's available for windows/mac/linux and you write you code in python. Easy way to get started and get good results.

Cheers,

Bob

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement