glEnable(GL_POINT_SMOOTH) but the points are still square

Started by
1 comment, last by JackTheRapper 14 years, 5 months ago
My text book said that some openGL distributions will still draw square points after this line. It looks like that's my case. Now how can I upgrade my distribution (or version)? I used the following lines: glPointSize(6); // Points are n pixels in diameter glEnable(GL_POINT_SMOOTH); glHint(GL_POINT_SMOOTH_HINT, GL_NICEST); glEnable(GL_BLEND); glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA); glBegin(GL_POINTS); glVertex2f( 1.0, 1.0 ); glVertex2f( 2.0, 1.0 ); glVertex2f( 2.0, 2.0 ); glEnd();
Advertisement
Unless going with a software rasterizer (in which case Mesa is an option) is out of the question, your only chance is the driver. If updating the graphics driver doesn't "fix" this, then chances are your manufacturer just doesn't focus on round points, so getting a new graphics card from another manufacturer would be the second step.

That, however, excludes all other options to get smooth dots, like manually drawing discs or textured objects instead of actual point primitives.
Yeah, a textured, billboarded quad with alpha blending is what I use. Bit more work but does the job

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement