• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grill8

Questions about where to find a good water/stream shader for my game engine.

This topic is 3337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have some questions about where to find a good water/stream shader for my game engine. Ok, so I would like to be able to have oceans/rivers/streams etc. I am assuming you need different shaders for each of these, i.e. oceans have waves, rivers/streams have water flow etc. I am targetting my engine for hardware that will be considered average in 2 years from now and am using DirectX 9. There are a bizzilion different shaders on the net for water but I am simply trying to find the right one with the criteria listed above. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you for your help. Jeremy

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by grill8
I am targetting my engine for hardware that will be considered average in 2 years from now and am using DirectX 9.

I would like to point out that this is an oxymoron/mutually exclusive, but I digress.

Anyway: Is there a particular reason why you've ruled out writing your own? Considering your very specific requirements I doubt there are even any general-purpose water shaders out there that could do things the way you envision, much less anything people who read the thread would even know about.

Yeah, I guess that is true ... in two years time DirectX 10 will likely be running on average hardware huh? Good point.

It just seems that streams/rivers have water flowing, oceans have waves, and lakes have ripples. There must be shaders already available for these types of things. I am fairly certain that they would be considered commonly used shaders.

I could probably write my own but why reinvent the wheel if someone with more shader experience than myself may have already done the task. A stitch in time saves 9 sorta thing.

Anyways ... I would love to hear more input if anyone has any.

Jeremy

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!