• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arbel

DirectX9 - DirectX10

This topic is 3339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure this gets brought up a lot so I'll make my question quick. I only have XP and I want to develop a 2D app so I'm pretty much stuck with DirectX9. My question is, are the changes in DirectX10 pretty significant? Will I need to basically re-learn if I pickup 10 later? If so I'll probably grab Windows 7.

Advertisement
yes, DX10 is quite different from DX9 and at least from my experience the nicer platform to develop against. In addition, switching from DX10 to DX11 is fairly easy as DX11 is more or less an extension of DX10.

In addition, I think moving from XP to Windows 7 is a good step... I've used Windows 7 for quite a while now and found it to be very reliable. It also is a leaner install (do a full clean install though) than Vista and it feels more responsive than Vista on the same hardware. It was the easiest Windows Installation I've ever done where all the hardware I had was recognized right away.

Switching to DX10 doesn't make too much sense with DX11 already being released. DX10 and DX11 both require at least Windows Vista and DX11 is even able to run on DX9 hardware (which is also the case for DX10.1, but not for DX10.)

And yes, switching from DX9 to DX11 (or DX10 if you really want to for some reason) requires quite some work, but i'm using this opportunity to redesign my engine from ground up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!