Simple Animation Question

Started by
5 comments, last by Noegddgeon 14 years, 5 months ago
Hello, everybody. Say I export an .OBJ file from Blender or any other modeling software, with an armature. Does this armature export along with the .OBJ file so that I can use any animations I built with the modeling software within OpenGL, or would I actually have to program those from scratch myself? I'm not really familiar with OpenGL, really, and I don't plan on becoming particularly good at it anytime soon because I am learning a lot of more basic foundations for game programming first, but it's a question that's on my mind that I thought I'd ask. I appreciate any responses. :] Colton
Advertisement
The .obj file contains all the data required for animations, though you have to program everything yourself to actually display them.

If you're not interested in getting to know all the nitty-gritty details of how to do a skeletal animation system (and believe me, you're not [wink]) then I would suggest you use an engine which already has support for animations - such as Irrlicht or Ogre3D.
.obj Files exported from any program do not include any animation information whatsoever. This means the .obj file will not have armatures or animation.

You would have better luck exporting to md5 from Blender.
Quote:Original post by JDS0
.obj Files exported from any program do not include any animation information whatsoever. This means the .obj file will not have armatures or animation.

You would have better luck exporting to md5 from Blender.
Oh yeah, you're right. In any case, even if you did go with MD5, there's a lot involved in writing an animation system and I still think you're better off using an engine which already supports it if your goal isn't to actually learn how to make an animation system...
Codeka,

I would very much like to learn as much as I can, just right now I can't focus too much on complicated graphics theory and OpenGL only cuz I'm still learning how to program in C++ xD. In actuality I'm highly determined to learn how to code game engines, though my current prospects are just learning how to create a simple game like Pong. :p. Thank you for your response.

JDS0,

I'm not too familiar with mesh or graphics data types, but what does the md5 format offer?
Md5 offers skeletal animation and mesh description only. It has the advantage of being ubiquitous due to its use in Id Tech 4 (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey). Keep in mind it was made with software skinning in mind, which might make it difficult if you plan on hardware skinning.

Alternatively, save yourself some time and use the unfortunately named AssImp Library, which supports a number of model formats including md5.

The open source Sauerbraten engine features not only md5 loading, but free md5 models included, as well as code for adjusting the model's pose to align with the player's view.
Took a look at both... I like them but it's gonna be a while before I'm ready to use them. :p Thanks for the information though it'll be something I'll definitely look into when the time comes. :]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement