• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
touches

Help in java????

This topic is 3253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello i have a problem in java where i have to find the cgpa for a the given grades... i Have written the code and i am able to get the answer for float values . But if i give any values of type double i get an precision error... this is the code i have written
class CGPA
{
  int sem;
  public float calcCGPA(float[] sgpa,int[] credits, int noOfsem)
{

sem=noOfsem;
  int sgplen=sgpa.length;
  int crdlen=credits.length;
  int len=sem;
  double res=0;
  //int i=0;
  int tot=0;
if(sgplen==len&&crdlen==len){
for(int i=0;i<len;i++)
{
  if(credits<=0){
    return -1;
    }
else
{
  tot=tot+credits;
}
}  
 for(int j=0;j<credits.length;j++)
{
  if(sgpa[j]<=0)
   return -1;
  res=res+(sgpa[j]*credits[j]);
}
res=res/tot;
return (float)res;
}

else{
  return -1;}}
  public static void main(String[] args)
{
  CGPA c=new CGPA();
  float[] s={22,23,24,25};
  int[] cr={50,100,50,100};
  int se=4;

float r=c.calcCGPA(s,cr,se);
System.out.println(r);
}
}

The problem requirements is that i must not change the return type of public float calcCGPA(float[] sgpa,int[] credits, int noOfsem) into a double neither should i change it in public static void main(String[] args) { CGPA c=new CGPA(); float[] s={22,23,24,25};// i must not change the float value here also!! Is there a way of casting so that i can include double variable and then cast it into a float array??? Please help me out.. i am sorry if i have posted in the wrong section as i am new here.... [Edited by - touches on October 26, 2009 11:36:33 PM]

Advertisement
what do you mean by precision error? it should print 94/300 = 0.31333... recursing 3 is the problem?

it will not be different even if you use double. if you want to print only a few digit after

round(num*100)/100.0

which will round the number to the two digits.

next time use [ source ] [ /source ] tags please

Since you asked a fairly to-the-point question, I won't bother reviewing your code. To cast from double to float:

double d = 4.35235;
float f = (float)d;

public static void main(String[] args)
{
CGPA c=new CGPA();
float[] s={22,23,24,25};// how do i cast a double to a float in arrays???

when i give the values as float[]{22.3,45.6,22,55} as an example i am getting an precision loss error and i am not be to run the code???? I am able to run the code as long as i dont include any values like 2.34 etc.. How do i cast it so that i am able to include any value without changing the methods parameters or its return type???(this is specification of the problem setters)

1.23 is not a float, it's a double.
1.23f is a float.

so what you're looking for is:

float[] s = {1.23f, 2.34f, 3.45f};

Oh, sorry - you want the syntax for specifying float literals. Here you go:

float f = 1.234f;
float [] f_array = {22.3f,45.6f,22f,55f};

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/datatypes.html (see the "Literals" heading)

You could also use the float cast next to each number, ie (float)22.3 .
Doubles also have a suffix for literals, d as in 56.7d, but Java appears to parse all numerical literals with decimal points in them as doubles by default.

EDIT: bleh, too slow.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!