• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gq3

Vector graphics in a game?

This topic is 3162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi How is it possible that most of the recent 2d games have perfectly crisp picture on a variety of resolutions? Do they simply keep the highest resolution picture and the downsample it for lower resolution screens? Do they use vector graphics format and rasterize after they know what screen resolution they are going to use? Or do they somehow directly draw vector graphics on screen? No gpu acceleration?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by gq3
Do they simply keep the highest resolution picture and the downsample it for lower resolution screens?
Probably this one. I've seen a couple of 2D games that do this, though I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Many flash games go the vector graphics route, since flash is designed with that in mind. It just depends on your artist's capabilities and tools, I guess.

There's nothing stopping you from utilizing shaders in creative ways to mimic vector graphics with conventional polygonal rendering, either. I believe I've seen it done a few times before, although I can't give you any references offhand.

>>How is it possible that most of the recent 2d games have perfectly crisp picture on a variety of resolutions?

give examples of the games you mean

Im sure 90+% dont use a vector like representation

Now that you ask, I can't give any specific examples. I always thought World of Goo looked nice, however on close inspection it seems that they use regular raster graphics and very few if not only one resolution size.

Thanks for your answers

This 'Scaleform' is one of the sharpest vector rendering libraries / packages I've seen - Crysis uses it for their GUI, and many other people use it as well for games, the images etc are @ this link -

Scaleform

I think it looks pretty sweet :-o

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!