Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poya

Geo-Morphing

At the moment my outdoor engine uses a simple ROAM method, which uses a binary triangle tree and splits them according to height variance, and distance. Now I''m trying to implement Geo-Morphing to get rid of triangle poping. I understand the basics of it which is to transition the vertices (once a new triangle has been created) from their interpolated height, to their actual height, over time or based on distance to the camera. I tried a few things but I can''t find a way to integrate this into my code. Can anyone tell me where I can find a good tutorial on Geo-Morphing, or maybe some source. Most of my terrain code is based on the ROAM tutorial on Gamasutra by Bryan Turner. Thanks

To implement Geo-Morphing you need to know which triangles have been added or removed from the Triangle Bintree in the last few frames. With Bryan Turners implementation of ROAM he recalculates the entire Triangle bintree each frame. This makes it diffucult to track the changes in the mesh from one frame to the next. The easiest way to get geo-morphing to work would be to implement the split and merge queue''s as outlined in the ROAM paper. This lets you easily track which triangles have changed and need to undergo geo-morphing.

I hope this helps.