Need to be pointed in the right direction.

Started by
9 comments, last by Victus117 14 years, 5 months ago
I've been through my program logic classes, I know C++ pretty well,and I know how the game development process works. I have GDDs written up and I have my goals for each game in mind. I have all the tools ready to go, I've read up on all posts for this kind of thing with no victory. So with all that said and done the question I have is where the hell do I start? I bring up my .cpp knowing exactly what I want to do ,but I get coder's block. Please help me out! I have brilliant ideas but cannot put them to good use.
Advertisement
If you're thinking of writing your own game, which it sounds like you are, a first step would be to decide how you're going to handle the harder parts of the code, e.g., graphics, sound, etc. Will you use a library? If so, start researching libraries before you begin coding.
Are there any libraries you could recommend?
OGRE is pretty popular for graphics, and PhysX and Havok are good options for physics.
Quote:Original post by Ariste
OGRE is pretty popular for graphics, and PhysX and Havok are good options for physics.

Thank you, will check those out.
Quote:Original post by Victus117
I've been through my program logic classes, I know C++ pretty well,and I know how the game development process works. I have GDDs written up and I have my goals for each game in mind. I have all the tools ready to go, I've read up on all posts for this kind of thing with no victory.

So with all that said and done the question I have is where the hell do I start? I bring up my .cpp knowing exactly what I want to do ,but I get coder's block.

Please help me out! I have brilliant ideas but cannot put them to good use.

You sound like you need a methodology/pattern for the design phase. Break up your game into logical subsystems, modules, models, routines, etc.
I come from the whole business programming line of thought, so I'm not the best person to ask about design methodologies for games.

I agree that you will want to develop some sort of rendering subsystem early on alongside the model for the sake of testing/feedback, but I'd place focus squarely on developing basic functionality (gameplay, physics, whatever) at first.
SDL is a nice library. It's fairly simple, and handles basic graphics, sound, and I/O. Definitely check that one out. Do you want to make a 2D or 3D game?
Quote:Original post by Sol Blue
SDL is a nice library. It's fairly simple, and handles basic graphics, sound, and I/O. Definitely check that one out. Do you want to make a 2D or 3D game?

3d, looking to make a survival horror co-op.
If your going to dive into this head first with 3D then I suggest doing a lot of reading on the 3D API's and engines.

I would check out
nehe.gamedev.net
libsdl.org - its 2D but will give you a good idea of things

Check out the other engines that have been mentioned.

I would recommend panda3D (panda3d.org) with python for your first game. python is extremely easy to learn and Panda3D is a very powerful engine that is completely free and used on commercial games by Disney.. ie ToonTown and Pirates of the Carabiean Online.

But read up on the API's DirectX and OpenGL(nehe site) just to get a feel for the way the graphics capabilities are handled.

What I have done in the past. is I start a project up and get a window up with whatever engine/gfx api i plan on using... then I start working on smaller chuncks.. so after the window get a "world" or "scene" loaded then get your "player" loaded.. after that get some "enemies" put into the game and make them walk around (maybe even walk in the directon of your player).. Then add weapons .. and so on and so on... Like they have said break it down into chunks ... get that chunk WORKING and then go back and clean your code up and make it nice I wouldn't worry too much about making sure everything you didn't use is deleted out of the source code i would just comment it out and keep moving on.

newayz I hope that helps a lil bit

peace

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

I recommend:

SDL
SDL Book
Why? Free, Easy to use and learn.

Irrlicht Engine
Irrlicht tutorials
Why? Free, Easy to use and learn, and active community.

OGRE
OGRE tutorials
OGRE Book
Why? Free, easy to use, and active community.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement