Debugging from outside of the Visual Studio environment

Started by
2 comments, last by CDProp 14 years, 5 months ago
Heya, I'm currently using Visual Studio. Generally, when I want to debug, I just run it in debug mode from inside VS (using F5). However, I have a situation now where I'm getting an unhandled exception, and I absolutely cannot run the program from within Visual Studio. I heard that you can run a debug build outside of Visual Studio and then have it prompt you to debug when the exception occurs. Is this true? How does this work? I found some instructions on the web for attaching the VS debugger to a program that is running, but that takes time, and my exception occurs a split second after the program is run. I found instructions on MSDN for creating an EXE project, but it looks like that requires running the executable from inside Visual Studio.
Advertisement
What you are looking for is called Just-In-Time Debugging.
You could also use WinDbg, but that's not really a tool for the faint of heart.
^ Haha.

So, here's what happened. I ran my application this morning (compiled in Release mode with no debugging information) and when an exception occurred, I got a dialog box asking me what program I would like to use for debugging. However, since this wasn't a debug build, the call stack & the watch gave me limited information (that probably wasn't reliable anyway; incidentally, I heard that if you're really clever, you can do some debugging in release mode, but it's a lost art; if anyone has any information on this that they can throw my way, it'd be much appreciated; I'm guessing it just has to do with looking at the disassembly and interpreting it, which I guess would require knowing assembly pretty well; I know some basic MIPS and that's it).

Anyway, now I've got the debug build, and I go to run it, and the exception occurs, and I get a different dialog box this time. It's the one that usually pops up within the Visual Studio environment that says "Abort/Retry/Ignore" and it says to select "Retry" if I want to debug. Only problem is, if I select "Retry", Visual Studio doesn't come up. Nothing happens, in fact.

grr.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement