NetBeans issue.

Started by
4 comments, last by mattd 14 years, 5 months ago
I've been wrestling for this for a while and it's kind of bugging me because I can't seem to google the answer. I've tried downloading both Eclipse and NetBeans (though I like NetBeans a bit more). I'm supposed to start with Java but I'd like to toy with C++ too for more personal reasons. Anyway, I must have missed something entirely because either of the IDE's don't let me compile or run the programs I write - not even a simple "Hello World" program. I'm pretty sure it's not the code. I think I missed something before you even get to writing the code. So... assuming I'm using NetBeans... What did I miss? What exactly do I need to do between opening NetBeans and writing my first line of code? Help would be greatly appreciated, I've never encountered this problem before (I have downloaded and used IDE's before). I'm a bit stumped. Thanks! PS: I'm on a Mac, using Mac OS 10.5
Advertisement
Have you installed a JDK first?

If so, at what point in this tutorial do things start to go wrong?
Come to think of it, no, I haven't installed anything other than NetBeans at the moment.

I checked out the link for the JDK. Apparently it's not available for Mac. At least not from what I can see.

So apparently I need to install something on top of the IDE. Alright. That makes one for Java and one for Cpp...
Apologies, I just read http://developer.apple.com/java/:

Quote:Mac OS X includes the full version of J2SE 1.5, pre-installed with the Java Development Kit (JDK) and the HotSpot virtual machine (VM), so you don't have to download, install, or configure anything.

Try that tutorial instead?
Oh, well apparently Java wasn't a problem. I must've been a bit tired when I tried to get it to work. So, many many many thanks to you for the help! :D

Now, what about C++? Something tells me that it's not all that simple to program with C++ if you have a Mac but...
Well, re-reading your OP.. it looks like I might have misinterpreted it as saying that Java was the issue instead of C++, so oops if that was the case :)

Have you tried this? You need to install a separate plugin first, and Xcode (if not already installed)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement