• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
symbyosis

Understand the Game Design Life Cycle

This topic is 3157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Captains Log Stardate: 27/10/2009 I have just basically started college, and I have been given an assignment to describe and detail the phases of the Game Design Life Cycle for a commercial game. The problem I have is they asking for a commercial game so it cant be something I have just made up, and from what I have been reading is there is no black and white about the game design life cylce in fact its pretty grey, it seems that every company has there own way of doing this. What I am asking for is if anybody knows of a game that has its "game design paper" freely available or maybe you in the industry and could possibly help out a noob. I have also been asked to describe the main activities that occur between the original concept and the release of a game. I am not asking for a complete assessment but I would really be of great appreciation to anybody who could possibly point me in the rite direction or even a few pointers would be awesome.... Thanks for taking the time to read this. Live long and prosper.

Advertisement
They are probably looking for something on the software development life cycle (SDLC) - games are still software after all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process

You can read about the usual process at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson10.htm -- as for putting together the history of one triple-A game, you'd need to check the articles and postmortems in Game Developer magazine. See gamasutra.com and gdmag.com

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!