• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
L. Spiro

Differences in Rotations

This topic is 3253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a matrix with rotational parts right, up, and forward (in that order). Vectors are normalized and perpendicular (a standard rotation matrix). So let’s say I have a rotation matrix in this format that was rotated arbitrarily. Its right, up, and forward vector components still normalized and perpendicular. How can I find the X, Y, and Z rotations needed to go from the identity matrix to the given matrix above? Rotations are in XYZ order. Basically I should be able to take an identity matrix, rotate around its X, then its Y, and then its Z, to get to the same rotation matrix as the given one. If all the axis were global I could find a solution on my own easily. But the rotations are around its local axis, so changing one changes the others. The final result should be 3 radian values, representing the X, Y, and Z rotations (separately) to get the final matrix. Any ideas? Thank you, L. Spiro

Advertisement
Google `matrix to euler' and you'll probably find something you can use. Why do you need angles at all?

I guess all I needed as to convert to Euler. Thank you.

I need the rotation in degrees for Maya.
The door on my Saleen S7 Twin Turbo opens upwards, making the hinges along an axis that is non-major. I have the axis and can convert it to a matrix orientation, but putting a joint on the door in Maya requires rotating the joint by degrees in order to align it with the axis exactly.

I do not eyeball anything. I may be able to get close just by eying it, but it will only be perfect if done mathematically.

L. Spiro

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!