Best physics engine for pinball game?

Started by
2 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm currently working on a realistic pinball game, and I have managed to get a lot of the physics working with the physx wrapper called nxogre. The thing is that I really didn't give a chance to other libs like newton, bullet, etc, so this is why I post. I know newton has a lot of succesfull pinball games, and it goes very well with ogre. Could it be that physx is an overkill? The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes physx doesn't seem that precise, when the ball goes fast it could even go through walls. But that maybe me, that need to tune some values... So what do you guys think?, I'm really thinking on newton!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by toglia
Could it be that physx is an overkill?

I don't know. What features does physx have that you want it to not have?
Quote:The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes physx doesn't seem that precise, when the ball goes fast it could even go through walls. But that maybe me, that need to tune some values...
Yes, it sounds like your timestep is too high.
Well, physx has a lot of soft bodies, cloth, fluids, ragdoll, blah blah stuff... That I not going to need. I know that others have some of that too, but I was just looking for an opinion.
PhysX does support CCD, but you have to enable it. This should prevent the ball from going through a wall.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement