• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Burnt_Fyr

Vector Field Height Maps

This topic is 3163 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been thinking about vector fields as of late and was looking for thoughts as to how to implement them for a terrain engine. I'm thinking a 32bit image format, using 3 pixels per vertex of terrain. So a Terrain of 101x101 Verts, would require a image 303x101pixels. The Terrain's vertices would be translated by data in the vector field image to give rise to landscapes not possible with heightmaps. Is this a reasonable approach? Any suggestions/links/leference material?

Advertisement
The Halo Wars terrain was completely built around a vector field concept.

The two primary problems you have to look out for :
1) To properly use VectorField terrain, you need to increase your resolution significantly (note, this creates all sorts of other problems you need to deal with ;)
2) You need to be extra sensitive about how you're doing your terrain chunk bounds, as now you're allowing the artists to pull verticies into other chunk's AABBs.

A quick google pulled up the slides from the GDC09 talk I did on the subject:
http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=388

~Main

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!