What next?

Started by
14 comments, last by signal_ 14 years, 5 months ago
As well as saying hello to the members here I am also looking for advice. I have made a tic tac toe game (using tutorial) and used that to make my own connect 3 game which is some what different. I am also in the middle of doing a simple adventure game based on choices but thats more a story telling game. anyway my question is what kind of thing should I move on to next??
Advertisement
Let's move in the real time now: Block breaker

:)
wow that sounds like quite a step up seems I have no idea on how to do movement, both control and free movement (ball) and collisions and other stuff. Any advice or tutorials to read through with help??
Take a look at SDL and Google LazyFoo for some tutorials on it. It's a nice way to get started in graphics-land.
Where your tic tac toe or connect 3 graphical games? If not I would try adding graphics to them. If they were, you could add animation to them.
I like Daivuk's suggestion of making a block breaking game. However, I would make that as step #3 in a 3-part plan. I think a good plan of action could be:

1. Introduce yrself to graphical programming: put a sprite on the screen and make it so he can move around. This will introduce you to graphics and user input.

2. Make Pong. I think Pong is a good precursor to making a block breaking game since it introduces you to collision detection and some simple ball physics. But it is vastly simplified since it's only 2 paddles and a ball. You could even make it simpler and make one-player Pong: player hits the ball off a static wall.

3. Then make yr block breaking game. A simple scrolling space shooter is also easy to make and a good project to work on in this stage of yr learning: you move a space ship at the bottom and shoot bullets at the oncoming enemy space ships.

Also, what language and API/libraries do you use? As Ariste said if you're using C++, SDL and Lazy Foo will get you far.
No the tic tac toe and connect 3 were just text games that looked like this

1|2|3
-+-+-
4|5|6
-+-+-
7|8|9

and then replace the numbers with X and O.

Now signal Im really liking your ideas. They sound like a good way to go. Just one thing though, Where would I start with the graphics. Like how do i insert a picture into the programme.

Im using C++ but I dont know what SDL and Lazyfoo are.
Quote:Original post by walsh06
Im using C++ but I dont know what SDL and Lazyfoo are.

SDL is: "Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power." -- From SDL website.

and Lazy Foo's tutorials are decent tutorials for SDL that get you up and running; they're written by a poster from this site, Lazy Foo. They're commonly recommended around here since they're pretty comprehensive, yet they get right to the point. Also read the SDL Documentation.

Edit: also, I forgot to mention that there's a new kid on the block: SFML. This is a newer API. To quote website: "SFML is a free multimedia C++ API that provides you low and high level access to graphics, input, audio, etc." So you may want to consider this as well. Some people love SFML and maybe one of them will chime in. I've not used it yet, however.
ok that makes things clearer. Few things though. Is SDL a program like DevC++ or what?? and an important one, is it free.
Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library. So it's basically a collection of .h and .cpp files that are built as a library. Then you write code and link to the SDL library. You can download it pre-built and ready to go or you could checkout the latest via SVN and build it yrself.

SDL is free. Go to the SDL website and read the link on licensing for complete information.

And, if you use Dev-C++, you may want to consider switching to a better IDE, like:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express
Code::Blocks

They are both free. They are both supported, unlike Dev-C++. Some food for thought.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement