Getting Restarted with the new DirectX

Started by
2 comments, last by Codeka 14 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, it's been 2 or 3 years since I've posted here and I'm ready to get back into making games... wooo! Ok, I've used VC++ 6.0 and DirectX 7 in the past and I just downloaded the new DirectX sdk and VC++ Express and that code tracker from the sticky. What does the new directX have to offer for 2d stuff? Could anyone recommend me some simple source files (related to sprites and tiles) to download? Thanks guys appreciate it.
Advertisement
D3D9 and D3D10 both offer a sprite class that can be used to draw textures in screen coordinates using simple transforms like scaling, rotation, or translation. This is usually sufficient for most 2D games. For D3D9 see ID3DXSprite, and for D3D10 see ID3DX10Sprite.

I don't know of any tutorials or anything for D3D10, but for D3D9 this site should get you started.
With DirectX11 comes the new Direct2D interface. I do not use it myself (am using D3D for 2D rendering), but i guess it should come in handy when you are primarily interested in 2D rendering.
Direct2D is meant as a replacement for GDI/GDI+ it's not really suited for writing 2D games (it can be a bit verbose). If you want to write 2D games, it's actually usually easier to continue using Direct3D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement